1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Add már, Uram, az esőt

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by cisarro, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cisarro Senior Member

Chilean spanish
    Hello folks!

I'm not sure about the word add in this phrase (it's the title of a song): Add már, Uram, az esőt.
    Is this any mood of the Hungarian verb ad (subjuntive or imperative maybe)?

I think could be something like this: Give (someone) already, Sir (or Lord?), the rain.

"
    Szomjas a föld és éhesek a fák
    Add már, Uram, az esőt!
    Sárga a zöld és száraz a világ
    Add már, Uram, az esőt!"

Köszönöm!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    The form add is imperative/subjunctive, definite conjugation (because "az esőt"). A longer form is adjad. In this case it's in function of imperative: "give!"

Mi tentativa de traducción (no sé si estilisticamente buena ...):
    Ya da(nos), Señor, la llueve!
    Give already, (my) Lord, the rain!

3. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    Also notice that már, with an imperative like add "give it", is not quite "already" but rather "at last": like gyere már! = in French "viens ici à la fin!", meaning the speaker is impatient.
    -- Olivier

4. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Yes, I also feel that already is not the exact translation of the Hungarian már. But "Give at last the rain" has also a bit different meaning (I think).

"Viens ici à la fin!" could be translated also like "gyere már (ide) végre!"

5. cisarro Senior Member

Chilean spanish
    Oh folks! thank you very much :D

6. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    When I think of it, this function of Hungarian már with an imperative is also found in Spanish:
    - Hungarian: gyere már ide!
    - Spanish: ya vente para acá! - like Hungarian, with the word "already"
    - French: viens ici à la fin! / viens vite ici! - unlike Hungarian, déjà "already" would have a different meaning: viens déjà ici! = először is gyere ide! = first of all come here!
    -- Olivier

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I can't judge the Spanish and I'm not sure about the French, either (not a 100% "overlap" in the meaning) because (I suspect) that the már after the imperative can express impatience as well as it can have a soothing effect, taking off the "sharp edges" of the imperative.

It (imperative+már) could be the expression of pleading, which is most likely the case in the song. Specially as it was addressed to the Lord - even if there is nothing religious about the text or the context.

8. cisarro Senior Member

Chilean spanish
    According to the whole lyric, the song would be an urgent request of rain because "The field is thirsty, the trees are hungry... Green is yellow and the World is dry... Only tears irrigate the meadow... etc...".

9. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Yes, that's right (I know the song which is a pop-ish song, so not to be taken too seriously!:)), there is pleading in it, there is expression of how important it would be but there is nothing "snappy" in it, it is more like a prayer (lots of imperatives in them, too!) - which of course is again not quite true because the song's era wouldn't have allowed it openly and also, in a prayer one is not supposed to nudge the Lord to hurry up fulfilling one's wish.
    A funny mixture.