addendum vs. appendix

Discussion in 'English Only' started by No_C_Nada, May 29, 2009.

1. No_C_Nada Senior Member

Castillian - Perú

Since both an addendum and an appendix are at the end of a writing, what is the difference between them?

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    May I ask what your dictionary says on this question, No_C_Nada?
  3. No_C_Nada Senior Member

Castillian - Perú
  4. Cagey post mod

English - US
    In my experience, an appendix contains related material that supplements the body of the book. For instance, it may contain an important historical document that the author refers to, or a geographical description that is useful to understanding certain events the author discusses. This is related material that doesn't fit into the main text.

An addendum, on the other hand, contains information that the author would have included in the text if if had been available to her when she was writing. For instance, it might be a discussion of a study that came out after the book was written, but before it was published.
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  5. No_C_Nada Senior Member

Castillian - Perú

Thank you, Cagey. So the addendum could also be something that the author wrote previously but did not include in the original writing or in the main body of the writing.

6. Cagey post mod

English - US
    It might be that, but I would expect that to be in an appendix. If it was something written after the author had finished the text, but before the book was published, something that related to the central argument of the book, then I would expect it to be an addendum.

I can't say with certainty that the difference I see is a universal and strictly enforced distinction.
  7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just to say - Cagey's post 4 exactly describes the distinction as I see it, too:)
  8. No_C_Nada Senior Member

Castillian - Perú

How many appendices are allowed to supplement the writing? Or, if there are more than one appendix, should they be called "exhibits"?

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You may have as many appendices as you feel are necessary.
    There is no reason to suggest a limit.
  10. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I have only come across "exhibits" in "legal" documents. They are pre-existing documents that in a literary situation might simply be cited in footnotes or in a bibliography, but for the court's purposes need to become part of the case record. Reproductions of these documents are therefore added at the end of the (transcript of) testimony as Exhibit #1, #2 etc.
  11. Cagey post mod

English - US
    What JulianStuart describes as an exhibit in legal literature would be called an appendix in the academic texts I have seen, which are usually in the fields of literature and history.