Adding particle out

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by blackstorm, Feb 17, 2010.

1. blackstorm New Member

Honduran Spanish
    Hi,

I'd like to know the meaning or function of the word "out" when added to some verbs. For example:

help vs. help out
    work vs. work out
    cook vs. cook out

Thanks!

2. dalequetepega Senior Member

New Orleans, Louisiana
    USA, English
    Hola Blackstorm,

Son verbos idiomáticos y en cada uno "out" cambia el significado pero no de forma regular ni consistente. En el tercer ejemplo hay cierta lógica en la distinción: "to cook out" quiere decir "cocinar afuera...comer a la parilla" pero en los otros dos el "out" realmente no tiene significado léxico. No veo mucha diferencia entre "help" y "help out" (es como ayudar vs. echar una mano) en cambio "work" es trabajar y "work out" es "hacer ejercicio."

el inglés tiene un montón de verbos que se combinan con preposiciones así (wake up, take in, live down etc etc )

3. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Phrasal verbs -not only the ones with 'out'-, were invented to make the lives of those who study English, miserable.. :eek:

I'm kidding... (not really)..:p Some of them make sense but some don't.

They can use adverbs or prepositions.

Sorry I can't help more... :)

4. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Hmmm, let me see. At least 38 forms of a regular verb in Latin American Spanish (vs. 5 in English, including the infinitive), stem changes in verbs, gender for nouns and adjectives, number agreement for adjectives, imperfect vs. preterit, defective verbs. Oh, I nearly forgot: the subjunctive! It's only fair that we get even just a little bit. :D

But to the point of the original post, you need to learn that prepositions with certain verbs are not simply prepositions; they change the meaning of the verbs, i.e., they are phrasal verbs as micafe said. And I don't think there are rules to guide you.

It's the same thing with certain verbs in Spanish. Following quedar with en changes the meaning, no? And many of the verbs in Spanish change meaning when used in the prenominal form.

5. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    There is no consistent meaning. I would say that the function is partly to satisfy the English love of prepositions and partly to create new shades of meaning without creating entirely new verbs.