additionally, in addition, besides, moreover, furthermore, admittedly, though, even though, while

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Greyski, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyski New Member

Chinese
    Hello pple!
    I was taught that English articles require conjunction to make it more logical to be understood easily. Such conjunction as the coordinating conjunction including additionally, in addition, besides, moreover, furthermore, etc, and the concessive conjunciton including admittedly, though, even though, while, etc.
    Is there most apporpriate usage of conjunction that is used in a formal term or in a casual term? Are "additionally and admittedly" used less than others? Which one do you usually use to write an essay, issue or argument?
    Thanks!

2. FurryOne Senior Member

Massachusetts, USA
    United States, English
    Additionally, moreover, furthermore, and admittedly are very formal and are seldom found in colloquial contexts. Besides is very informal and seldom used in formal contexts. What is the specific context for your question?

3. Greyski New Member

Chinese
    My question is about how to use the conjunction to write an essay efficiently, this must require use the words formally, right? When the two paragraphes provide the evidence that support the same idea, then in order to conjunct them, Am I right to use additionally, moreover, furthermore... whatever I want at the beginning of the second paragrapher? And also, Do all of these words apply to conjunct the two sentences as well? thanks^

4. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Look, you can't just ask this about a whole bunch of words. Each word is different. Each word has its own grammar. What I think you're asking is whether a word can introduce a sentence on its own, e.g.

Moreover, Chomsky says that language acquisition is innate in humans.

In this position, you can use 'moreover', 'additionally', 'furthermore', 'in addition', 'besides', 'admittedly'.

Others can't be used to begin a whole sentence. They begin a subordinate clause attached to a previous or following clause:

Skinner regards all language use as behaviour, whereas Chomsky says that language acquisition is innate in humans.
    Whereas Chomsky says that language acquisition is innate in humans, Skinner regards all language use as behaviour.

Like 'whereas' are 'while', 'whilst', 'though', 'even though'.

5. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

It's difficult to answer such a general question in this format. I agree with FurryOne on the register differences in the first set of words.

The second set are more of a problem. They do not have the same meaning to me but the differences are subtle. They present slightly different points of view on the topic.

Admittedly, she tried very hard but she didn't complete the assignment.
    Although/Though/While she tried very hard she didn't complete the assignment.
    Even though she tried very hard she didn't complete the assignment.

To me, the tone here is arranged from slightly negative and critical through neutral to slightly positive and sympathetic. Any of these could shift a bit depending on surrounding context.

6. Greyski New Member

Chinese
    Thanks All lots!
    I had never expected that even the conjunction like admittedly, Although/Though/While, Even though, can express such a subtle meaning from the author. I thought verb, adj, and adv are the only way to reflect the author's attitude. That really makes sense for me to learn how ues them more specifically!

7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Impossibly general question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.