1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

además de los que establece la Constitución y la ley

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Ljubljiana, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Ljubljiana New Member

I am trying to translate this sentence, but it doesn't make sense to me:
    "Son fines y funciones esenciales del Estado, además de los que establece la Constitución y la ley:" (the sentence is followed by a list.

2. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Hello Ljubljiana and welcome to the forum!

Please make an attempt at translation even if it is incorrect. That way we can see exactly where your difficulty lies.

3. Ljubljiana New Member

Ok, my problem is the word además in this sentence.

My translation would be something like:
    The most important aim and function of the state, apart from those established through the constitution and the law.

This is probably wrong, because I cannot understand why that which is listed below would be separated (además) from what is constituted - this IS taken from the constitution?

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Hello, Ljubljiana, and welcome to the forum!

My suggestion:
    The main aim and functions of the state, in addition to those established by the Constitution and the law, are:

Not all functions of the state are written into a country's constitution.

5. Ljubljiana New Member

Thank you, that sounds more correct.
    Regarding the constitution, one would think that at least what is written in the constitution, would also be part of it?

6. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Does this problem exist in the original Spanish? If not then maybe the translation is wrong.

Do you think it could mean

"Hay fines y funciones esenciales del Estado, además de los que establece la Constitución y la ley: ???

I think maybe you should first go to the Spanish Only forum and check the original sentence to see if it makes sense. Once you understand it you can then translate it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. Ljubljiana New Member

"CAPÍTULO SEGUNDO PRINCIPIOS, VALORES Y FINES DEL ESTADO
    [--- Artículos 7 hasta 8]
    Artículo 9. Son fines y funciones esenciales del Estado, además de los que establece la Constitución y la ley:
    1. Constituir una sociedad justa y armoniosa, cimentada en la descolonización, sin discriminación ni explotación, con plena justicia social, para consolidar las identidades plurinacionales.
    2. ..."

I have read this over and over again, and have reached the conclusion that what they wish to capture are certain goals which are not codified into legal paragraphs. Any was, I have chosen to leave this problem for now.

But thanks for your help, both of you.

8. el_ochito Senior Member

Caracas - Venezuela
    Spanish - Venezuelan
    Ljubljiana, If we want to make the best sounding sentence in English, I'd probably reorganize the sentence thus:

In addition to those established in the constitution and the law, the following are essential objectives/aims and functions of the State:

9. Ljubljiana New Member

Ah! Thank you!