Adjectives describing cities and their declension

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by linguos, Sep 19, 2012.

1. linguos

linguos Senior Member

Is there any website explaining how to decline the adjectives with the suffix -ensis, which are often related to particular places, like town and cities?

For instance, the Latin name for LSE seems to be Schola Scientarum Oeconomicorum et Politicarum Londiniensis and for the Impierial College London - Collegium Imperiale Londiniense. I presume that in the former Londiniensis agrees with the feminine Schola and in the latter, Londiniense with Collegium.

However, I also found a school called Gymnasium S. Mariae Magdalenae Vratislavianum, which is quite odd as it doesn't seem to follow the same rules as the two examples given earlier. Gymnasium has the same ending as Collegium

Is there any specific reason as to why the name of the last school ends with Vratislavianum instead of Vratislaviense?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    -ensis or -iensis only occurs with geographical entities. -ianus/a/um is much more versatile, it can form adjectives from any sort of name. The gymnasium could have called itself Vratislaviense but chose not to. There is no big difference---The Bratislava Gymnasium of St. Mary Magdalene or the Gymnasium of St. Mary Magdalene at Bratislava mean much the same thing.

3. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    I think that here Vratislavia is the Latin name of the Polish city of Wrocław and not Bratislava. The Latin name of the today's Bratislava was Posonium (from Hungarian Pozsony) and the adjective was posoniensis.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  4. linguos

linguos Senior Member

You're perfectly right, francisgranada! What's funny is that for many centuries it used to be a German city called Breslau, but it would appear that not many contemporary Germans remember about it :)

5. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    It's worth noting that the ending is -ensis, not -iensis.
    In the case of Londiniensis, the ending -ensis is added to the stem of Londinium, which is Londini-.

Wiktionary http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ensis also defines it as 'of or from a place', but there is at least one case where there is a different meaning: the noun amanuensis, a secretary, which is formed from [servus] a manu and -ensis.