Adjectives ending in υς

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by panettonea, Jul 2, 2013.

1. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    The authors of GACG (Greek: A Comprehensive Grammar) claim that all adjectives ending in υς are accented on the last syllable, but it seems they didn't do their homework properly. What about θήλυς? Besides θήλυς, are there any other such adjectives that aren't accented on the last syllable?

2. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    As an adjective, θήλυς (and its male counterpart άρρην) is hardly ever used in δημοτική. We normally say αρσενικός/θηλυκός. The genitive plurals αρρένων/θηλέων are still used on occasion, mostly to refer to boys' or girls' schools respectively. (Nowadays there are hardly any single-sex schools left in Greece, but I, for instance, attended a Γυμνάσιον Αρρένων ages ago.)
    In ancient Greek there were several other adjectives ending in unstressed -υς, such as εύβοτρυς (with a different inflexional paradigm than βαθύς), and some nouns ending in unstressed -υς, such as έπηλυς and νέηλυς, can occasionally be found in the modern language. Most Greeks wouldn't know how to inflect them, or even what they mean. You may safely ignore them. -- The word μυς, however, is one you may want to learn (it used to mean 'mouse' but is the usual term for 'muscle'), along with its archaic declension (ο μυς, του μυός, τον μυ, οι μύες, των μυών, τους μυς).

3. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    In my modern Greek grammars there are only the categories -ύς/-εία/-ύ and -ύς/-ιά/-ύ, and there is no -υς/-εια/-υ: βραχύς/-εία/-ύ and βαρύς/-ιά/-ύ. Adjectives like θήλυς, ήμισυς, δίπηχυς, άδακρυς etc. exist only in grammars of ancient Greek (and in polytonic). To learn how they are inflected you should look in those grammars.

4. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Thanks. Yes, GACG uses θηλέων in one of its examples.

That's too bad. I wouldn't have wanted to attend one, but I think they're a good option for many students, especially boys.

Well, I suppose you're guaranteed a single-gender class reunion at least. :D

The Greeks or the nouns? Or both? ;)

Yes, GACG does give full treatment of that one.

5. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Thanks. Well, GACG should have at least mentioned that, especially since it does use θηλέων in one of its examples and since θήλυς still seems to be listed in many modern dictionaries.

The Neurolingo Web site seems to give paradigms for many of those. And it sure beats spending 80 dollars for another book. :D