1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Adjectives for texture

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silvia, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    How can a texture be described?

I was looking for the proper adjective:

solid, resistant, compact, strong?

2. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi Silviap, here there are some adjectives you can use with the word "texture"

a smooth/rough/coarse/a soft/hard texture

This artificial fabric has the texture of (= feels like) silk.

The manufacturers say that using this cream will help improve your skin texture (= the appearance of your skin).

This cheese has a firm but crumbly texture (= structure).

Bye Art :) :p ;)

3. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Thanks Artrella,

but I should choose an adjective among the ones I mentioned, or another one with similar meaning.

Among the ones you mentioned the only suitable one might be "hard", but I guess it refers to the surface of texture not the inside of it. It's a little bit complicated... ;)

4. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English

I think it is very difficult to help without knowing what it is you are trying to describe.

5. Mike

Mike Senior Member

Krakow, Polska
    Australia, English
    Hi silviap,

Considering the definition of the word texture,

perhaps consider how abstract your question is.

I'm dead knackered, but if you would elaborate on your intented usage of texture, I (surely not being the first) would offer my thoughts.

Mike

6. mjscott Senior Member

texture be described?

I was looking for the proper adjective:

solid, resistant, compact, strong?
    rough, smooth, spongy, stiff, bumpy, silky, flexible, pliant, rubbery, laccid, viscous, sandpapery, plastic-like, dense, fibrous, thick, fluid-like, slippery, crumbly, velvety, satiny, slick, stippled....
    ....We really could be more helpful if we knew what you were talking about.

7. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    That's it.

I wanted the adjective not to sound odd. But from what everyone has said so far, I gather I could use just ANY adjective and it wouldn't sound odd.

Thus, I assume I can either say:

solid texture
    resistant texture
    compact texture
    strong texture

Am I right?

8. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Now, knowing what I wanted to say, is there a better way to describe it? Maybe an adjective I didn't mention?

Thank you for your great help and sorry if my question was not clear enough, but otherwise I wouldn't be here asking for help ;)

9. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    I wouldn't say strong texture. A texture is something to feel or to touch. I don't think a texture would feel strong. It seems that if you switch the word to fabric, all of your adjectives would fit.

a solid fabric with a smooth texture
    a resistant fabric with a spongy texture
    a compact fabric with a dense texture
    a strong fabric with a course texture

I don't know if this helps at all.

10. Mike

Mike Senior Member

Krakow, Polska
    Australia, English
    I still don't know what exactly you're talking about, silvia.

Maybe this will help:

a texture is but an aspect of something. For example, if we were talking about a plank of wood, we could say it has a rough texture, and a solid texture, but if we were talking about a polished wood floor, we could say it has a very smooth texture.

Basically, whatever it is you want to describe with an adjective, touch it. However it feels, use that as an adjective. The texture of her hair is very soft. The texure of a chicken bone can feel very brittle.

Does that help?

Mike

11. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Yes, thank you Jacinta & Mike.

I thought the texture didn't refer to the surface of something only. I thought it could relate to its composition as well.

As for the word fabric, it makes me think of clothes. Can I use the word fabric for a product that has nothing to do with textiles?

12. leenico

leenico Senior Member

U.S.A. english
    Another description of texture is something composed of closely interwoven elements. specf: a woven cloth. If it is a cloth, you could describe it as a woven fabric. Hope this helps. Maybe if we knew what the product was that you are trying to describe, we might come up w/ a better answer. :)

13. SharonF Junior Member

USA, English
    I'm new but thought I'd jump in.

Texture generally refers to the way something FEELS. It may be how it feels to your hand, your tongue, under your feet, your fork or other tool for probing. Anything that is touchable can be described as having some texture.

Smooth
    Rough
    Silky
    Slick
    Soft
    Fluffy
    Spongey

We could go on I'm sure. :) I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Sharon

14. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    If it is made out of fabric, then yes. Fabric is made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers -- basically, a cloth.

:tick: You can say "The curtains were made of a smooth fabric" even though you do not wear curtains on your body.

:tick: "Her chair is covered with oriental fabric."

:cross: However, you can't generally use "fabric" to talk about things not made of cloth. For example, you cannot say "My car is made out of a green fabric." (when you are talking about a real car made of metal).

If in doubt, you can use a more generic word like material, which is the tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object -- basically, it can be used for anything.

:tick: "The soft material on the chair soothed the girl." (fabric also works here)

:tick: "The car was made out of a thick material I had never seen before. Later I learned that it was called steel." (fabric does not work here)

15. mjscott Senior Member

coarse is the spelling you would want to use for texture....

16. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    This is really really difficult.

I have to describe the properties of a product made of plastic. I guess I'll go for structure.

17. leenico

leenico Senior Member

U.S.A. english
    You could say it is a synthetic w/ thermoplastic properties. :)

18. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Plastic doesn't have much of a texture at all, does it? Except that it could be a smooth or rough plastic? Or durable?

The product is made of a durable plastic material.

19. quehuong Senior Member

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Physical properties of which type of plastic product? A tool, a toy, a decorative product...?? There are many adjectives which can be used to describe physical properties of a thing, and texture can be visually perceived. An image of the product could be really helpful.

:)

20. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    The term plastic I used is not the kind of plastic you're used to think of. It's a totally different thing. It's a lab product. That's why I'll use the word structure instead. More technical.

21. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Boy! You're leaving such a trail of mystery and intrigue! I'm wondering what you finally decide upon for your description. Let us know....

22. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Compact structure. ;)

23. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Sounds good!!

I walk away shaking my head.