Advantage of/to having

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by pejupa, Dec 4, 2012.

1. pejupa Junior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hi there,

Should I say 'the advantages of having a car' or ' the main advantage to having a car'??

Thank you in advance.

2. fre0009 Senior Member

English - UK

'The advantages of having a car' sounds better to me.

However, now I say the second one over in my head 'the main advantage to having a car', it doesn't sound too bad either. Maybe it is colloquial. I am not sure if it is grammatically correct.

The first one however is definitely right!

3. gacton Junior Member

The two phrases have different meanings: "the advantages of having a car" will refer to a list of advantages, and "the main advantage to having a car" will refer only to the "main advantage."

4. pejupa Junior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thank you very much!

5. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I cannot think of any circumstances under which I would say 'the main advantage to doing something...' You can, however, say phrases like 'the main advantage to the government comes from...'; but not 'advantage to doing something'.

6. gacton Junior Member

I think to say "the main advantage to having a car is to get from point A to point B quickly" would be perfectly fine.

7. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Then we must agree to differ! You take advantage of something, not to it, so I find 'the main advantage to' followed by a gerund unusual, to say the least.

8. gacton Junior Member

Might be a difference between British and American English usage?