1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Adverb in lieu of

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Normandete, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Normandete Senior Member

I came across this sentence:

The certificate is subject to endorsement for an intermediate survey in lieu of the second and third anual survey.

In this case "in lieu of" does not mean "instead of", but "in between of".

¿Anyone agrees with my conclusión?

Thanks

2. Tochka Senior Member

No. It always means "in place of" or "in stead of."*
    Lieu is from the French, lieu, meaning "place." ("Stead" also means "place.")

*edit: I misspelled "instead" which should be written as one word. It is formed of the two words "in" and "stead", however.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Normandete Senior Member

4. Normandete Senior Member

A place in time not only in space.

5. Tochka Senior Member

Whether referring to a literal location or a figurative one, the expression always means one thing is being substituted for another. Never that one thing is "between" two others.
    What does mean "in between" is "intermediate."

Thus, two surveys, a "second" and "third" survey, will now be replaced by one "intermediate" survey. I would presume this would mean the "intermediate" survey is one that occurs between a first and last survey, but the adjective "intermediate" could possibly refer not to a "between" survey, but to some other "between" point in time at which the survey is taken. We do not have enough context here to know for sure.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. Normandete Senior Member

7. Normandete Senior Member

Iunderstand that in the sentence the adverb “in lieu of” is saying that a surveycalled intermediate survey will take place (lieu) somewhere in between the datescorresponding to two other surveys of another kind called second and thirdsurvey respectively.

8. littledogboy

littledogboy Senior Member

no.