adverbios de frecuencia

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by lunalunera, Jan 17, 2006.

1. lunalunera Senior Member

los adverbios de frecuencia normalmente van entre el sujeto y el verbo, a no ser que sea el verbo to be, verbos auxiliares o modales. ¿
    Pero y cuándo se trata del verbo to have (tener) y have lunch por ejemplo? ¿dónde se colocan delante,detrás o en medio?
  2. LAUTH Senior Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguay, Spanish

en el medio.-
    por ejemple i always have lunch in that restaurant.-

3. LAUTH Senior Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguay, Spanish
    sorry is at that restaurant
    another expample could be : SHE NEVER HAS GOT DOGS
  4. Alunarada Banned

y simpre detrás del verbo "to be" si este está conjugado

"she is always complaning"

también pueden ir al principio o al final de una frase, si lo que rpetendes es darle efusividad.
  5. lunalunera Senior Member

¿y por qué 'twice a week' o 'once' van al fina si también son de frecuencia?
    gracias por vuestras respuestas
  6. Alunarada Banned

mmm pues no se simpre hay excepciones *esa el la norma* jeje ;)
    pero utliliza "twice, once a week" , como lo harías en castellano y no creo que haya problema, también pueden ir al principio.
    No se que explicación te puedo dar, porque es así y ya está, lo siento :(
    :confused: :(
  7. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    The adverb can take various positions. Sometimes there are subtle differences in meaning, but it's often just a matter of personal taste.
    Frequently I go to London to shop.
    I frequently go to London to shop.
    I go frequently to London to shop.
    but not:
    I go to London to shop frequently.

The important thing is that the adverb be associated with the verb it modifies, and that usually requires that it be positioned close to the verb. In the fourth sentence above, the adverb, because of its position in the sentence, seems to refer to "shop" when it really refers to "go".

8. HollyH Senior Member

Austin, TX
    US - English

why don't you like the sentence "I go to London to shop frequently?" that seems fine to me.

9. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    Hi HollyH,
    There's nothing wrong with the sentence, but look:
    "I frequently go to London to shop" means that I frequently go to London and, while there, I go shopping.
    "I go to London to shop frequently" means that I go to London and, while there, I go shopping a lot.
    Both are correct, but with completely different meanings. Thats why we have to be careful with adverb placement.

10. LAUTH Senior Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguay, Spanish
    i entirely agree with J Denson adverbs of frequency can be any place depending on what u really want to say and the enfasis u want to utter.-
    however , when u first learn English , teachers always say the correct form is in the middle just to follow a rule until u learn it.- Then they will add the other options little by little to avoid mixing up.- So you never have to take to heart an English rule!!
  11. lunalunera Senior Member

y en la frase 'I like going to the swimming-pool' si quiero decir a veces, ¿dónde pondría 'sometimes?
    porque me suena muy mal 'I sometimes like....' ¿iría al principio? y ¿por qué? gracias por vuestra ayuda.
  12. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    Yo diría:
    "Sometimes I like to go to the swimming pool (no lleva guión)."
    Pero es correcto también:
    "I sometimes like to go ..." (esto no tanto. Tienes razón. No suena.)
    "I like to go to the pool sometimes."
  13. lunalunera Senior Member

también podría ser ?I like going....?¿no? detrás del verbo like puede ir el verbo con ing.
    gracias por tus respuestas
  14. bluejazzshark Senior Member

English, England
    The following rule is a good guide:

If the adverb is one word, then put it after the subject when speaking. This is the "most natural" position. If the adverb has more than one word (e.g. "three times a week") then it is more natural at the end of the sentence.

Adverbs can go at the start of a sentence, but this is generally more formal. So, I would prefer these:

I often write in English
    Jane never understands the point.

I go to work five times a week.
    I study spanish at times.
    I see him once in a blue moon.

The rules are a bit different in written styles, when you sometimes see the adverb appear at the beginning of the sentence. It sounds a bit weird when someone says "Often, I play tennis", but it's not "wrong".

I hope that helps,

- Blue
  15. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    Sí, puede ser "I like going to the pool" en una declaración general.

I like going to the movies.
    I like reading books.

Es igual que "I like to read, to go, to watch" :)