Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by PeterPiper, Sep 17, 2011.

1. PeterPiper New Member

UK - English
    These animated ads are making WordReference so slow and erratic as to render it useless.
  2. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

German, Northern Germany
    Hello PeterPiper :)

There are already threads on this topic; for instance this one. In that thread, you find information about how to report annoying advertisements, and what else to do.
  3. PeterPiper New Member

UK - English
    Hi Sowka :) Thanks for replying.
    I did search the forums for 'ads' and 'advertisements', but maybe I missed 'adverts'. I'll pursue the thread you mentioned, though it's a year old.

It's sad to see Word Reference looking so garish, and ugly. I understand the need for advertisements but not for the horrid, bright, animated ones. It's like watching children's TV!
  4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I assume you're talking about advertisements in the dictionaries...

See also:

Advertising in Wordreference dictionaries
    dictionary advertisements

The fact that a thread here on the C&S forum is "old" does not necessarily mean it is out of date! And in this case, I can assure you that the mechanism for reporting obnoxious ads is still totally functional, and that it's very much appreciated when you make use of it!!!

Thanks! :)
  5. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    I've been hearing some reports of overly animated ads in the UK lately, but I can't get anybody to follow directions and send a screenshot. I don't see the same ads as you do, so I have to rely on these reports to make any decisions. So, please send me a report!

Thank you