1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Adviser vs. Consultant

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by aliena83, May 31, 2007.

1. aliena83 Junior Member

Spanish Spain
    Hello all!!

Which is the difference between an adviser and a consultant??

Thanks a lot!!;)

2. Pelgar Senior Member

USA English
    [FONT=&quot]In my opinion there is no difference; the words are synonyms. An adviser or consultant may come along and disagree with me but I use the two words synonymously.[/FONT]

3. mora Senior Member

Canada, English
    Hello

An advisor is anyone who provides advise. An advisor may be paid or not paid. A priest is a spiritual advisor. A teacher may be an advisor to his or her students. My father advises me a on my finances, so he could be called my financial advisor. People in these roles are not usually called 'consultants', they are 'advisors'.

A consultant also offers advice, but is usually a professional expert engaged in giving advise, often to other professionals. Architects, engineers, accountants and business advisors are often called consultants, but are rarely called 'advisors'.

Mora

4. Pelgar Senior Member

USA English
    Thanks Mora,

What you say makes sense, I never thought of it in that way.

Pelgar

5. aliena83 Junior Member

Spanish Spain
    Thank you all for your responses!!

That makes everything much more clear

Aliena83

6. ZaneCEO New Member

Italia - Italiano
    I found this topic searching the forum for the same question :)

7. cubanita en EEUU Junior Member

California
    espanol/english - US
    Great explanation, Mora. I just found this thread in my own search on the word "Consultant" in May 2009! BTW, what would be the best translation of that word in the "professional" context?