1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

affanculo / vaffanculo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Whisky con ron, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Scotland
    Venezuela / Español
    Apologies if this is a rude word, but I've tried to look it up elsewhere and cannot find a translation. What is fanculo? and va fanculo? or is it vafanculo?

Please answer in English if you could (or indeed Spanish if you want) as I cannot speak Italian.

Grazie

2. dustinemptyspace

dustinemptyspace Junior Member

Germany, SB
    Italy. Sun, Sea ....
    The direct English equivalent is :warn::warn::warn: "fuck" or :warn::warn::warn: "fuck you"

You cannot find it on the vocabulary because it's not a word, it's the short -hand form for an entire phrase : "va a fare in culo"
    That means that both words you used are correct SLANG.

3. uinni

uinni Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    Language is also rude expressions!

It is a short variant of the complete ejaculation: vaffanculo :warn: :warn: (original version is "va' a fa 'n culo"). It could be translated into "go to hell!"/"¡Jodete/Que te jodan!:warn:"

Another shortening you can find is "vaffa".

- vaffanculo can be either used as direct ejaculation or as a noun.
    - "fanculo" is used with the preposition "a" in sentences like "f. a s.o./s.th." to express "to hell with s.o./s.th.".
    - "vaffa" is only used as a noun and "un/il vaffa" (or as a "moderate" way of sending somebody to hell: "ma vaffa!"

Uinni.

4. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Scotland
    Venezuela / Español
    Thanks for the answers.... I think the best one was the explanation that is short for "va a fare in culo" (anda a hacerlo por el culo?)... In Spanish we say "anda a tomar por culo".... muy fuerte :)

Un bacio.

5. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    The search function examines message content as well as thread titles. I just did a search on fanculo, which returned both this thread and one other.

On a related note, when I was a child, my Trentino parents sometimes used an expression along the lines of "bassite il cul", which literally (I think) means "lower your ass" and figuratively might mean "go take a dump/shit." (They grew up with "toilets" that were literally a hole in the ground, so to "go to the bathroom" required squatting down, or "lowering your ass.") Does this expression (and my interpretation) sound familiar to anyone else?

Saluti,
    Elisabetta

6. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Thanks for a very intertaining thread, especially the quibble about interjections.

I always thought the "n" following ffà was "un," not "in." Since the south-of-the-Volturno "ff" always seems to crop up, I assume that people who'd say "vaffanculo" would instead say gul'. So I'll venture to point that out.

"Vai a fare un culo" would then yield the oft-heard expression, "va ffà 'n gul'." Or as they say in NYC, "fun GOOL!" With the "L" almost elided.

7. uinni

uinni Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    I never happened to find an exact etymology of this expression, so cannot tell for sure you whether the "'n" stands for "in" or "un".
    As far as the "g-toning" of the "c", it is typical of the South pronunciation; they also extend the duration of vowels and attenuate any consonant in the syllable at the and of a word, so that e.g. "culo" turns into a fading "gool".

Uinni.

8. radiation woman

radiation woman Senior Member

Wales English
    I don't know whether there's any connection, but I think there may be as these are both romance languages. In French they have a similar expression to the Italian one. It's "enculez-vous" :warn: :warn: :warn: where "en" is used, so I have always presumed that the "'n" in the Italian expression stood for "in".

Incidentally Uinni, it took me a while to understand your post from yesterday where you quoted me and added a smiley, but when I did understand it I realised that although I may not have a warped mind, you certainly do ;)!

9. uinni

uinni Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    Although this matter is a little bit complicated (as far as the genealogy of Italian dialects/languages is concerned), I'd like to point out that you get a little off track in presuming that vaffanculo is "pure" Italian. It is almost certainly coming from a central Italy dialect and that's why there is such uncertainty about "in" and "un".

I do confirm :D.

Uinni

10. Calgarygirl Junior Member

English - Canada
    What does this mean, please? I think it's slang...

Thanks!

11. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    I'm afraid it's :warn: '(v)affanculo' = fuck off' :warn:, it's not slang, just a rude word.

12. Koroner

Koroner Senior Member

Arezzo
    Italian
    The one you mention, :warn: 'affanculo, is the cut version of :warn: vaffanculo.

All the below Italian expressions are :warn: (not allowed to put too many images in a post).

Ex: [Ma] vattene 'affanculo!

Which is equivalent of:
    [Ma] vaffanculo!
    [Ma] vai a fare in culo!

Vai and vattene are interchangeable, and ma just stress your being very bothered.

There do exist other forms involving the word :warn: culo, among which are:
    Ma vai in culo!
    Ma vai a pigliartela nel culo! (mainly Tuscany)

I think that all of them translates your :warn: fuck yourself! / fuck off! / go fuck yourself!

13. Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    Scusate se riprendo questo vecchio thread (non trovavo altri corrispondenti) ma discutevo oggi con un mio collega su come rendere in inglese quest'espressione

Perché non lo/la/li/le mandi a :warn:fanculo:warn: ?

My try

Why dont' you :warn:fuck him/her/them off ?

Si può rendere così in inglese o esiste un'espressione precisa ?

Grazie e buona domenica a tutti

14. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Why don't you tell him/her/them to :warn:fuck off?

15. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Admittedly ":warn: Fuck Off!" conveys the same degree of animosity (and vulgarity) as ":warn: Vaffanculo!", but if I wished to convey the meaning of the original (in a slightly less vulgar manner), I'd say "Up Yours!":D (which is perhaps used more as a reply to the original exclamation, but does give the sense of "fondoschiena".