affidataria di una commessa di ricerca

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by mrmoto74, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mrmoto74 Junior Member

Rome, Italy
    Bilingual: Irish English and Italian
    Hi folks,

This has been driving me up the wall for the last 24 hours. The context is the definition of the different roles that a research centre can fulfill. One of them is:

"-ricerca conto terzi, in cui CentroRicercaABC è consulente dell’azienda e affidataria di una commessa di ricerca e può eventualmente svolgere il ruolo di consulente per il finanziamento del progetto"

I've gone with:
    "research on behalf of a third-party, for whom ResearchCentreABC acts as consultant and contractor/service provider of research work order and may, if required, act as financial consultant for the project", but I'm not happy, to say the least.

2. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    How about "... and is entrusted with the commissioning of research ..." ? (or possibly even ... is charged with ...")

Does not "in cui" refer to "ricerca" rather than to "terzi"?
    "research on behalf of third-parties, in which the ABC Research Centre acts as a consultant, and is charged/entrusted with the commissioning of research, and may, if required, ..."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. mrmoto74 Junior Member

Rome, Italy
    That's brilliant baldpate. Thanks a million for making it clear to me.

4. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Hello!

I was wondering about assignee for affidataria and thefreedictionary.com confirms:

. One appointed to act for another; a deputy or agent.

One small point: commessa is nearly always translated as project (research project). I know that the word's used after, but....!;)

5. mrmoto74 Junior Member

Rome, Italy

I had originally gone for assignee of research project, then changed it, and then I couldn't see the wood for the the trees. I think I'm going to go for baldplate's version, because although assignee of research project may be closer, I don't think it flows as nicely. But the best bit is that I now have a number of new weapons in my arsenal. ;)