1. elsalareportera Member

Spanish & English
    Hello, I'm trying to translate the phrase "agarra parejo" to English. I know what it means I just cannot find a way to phrase it in English.

Here's the context:
    Legalmente, el señor estaría en su derecho de utilizar la fuerza pública para detener a indocumentados que tengan cuentas pendientes con la justicia. El problema es que agarra parejo basado únicamente en el color cobrizo de la piel.

Thank you in advance.
  2. dinis.dinis Senior Member

"Legally the gentleman was in his rights to use the police force to arrest undocumented (workers?) who have outstanding "debts" to pay to the justice system. The problem is that (the police) are undiscriminating as to whom they round up basing themselves solely on the bronze hue of a potential suspect's complexion."

That is the best I can do,
  3. elsalareportera Member

Spanish & English
    That makes sense, thank you very much :)
  4. SydLexia Senior Member

UK, English
    Be careful with the 'undiscriminating' above. They are discriminating - it's discrimination based on skin colour.

5. cubaMania Senior Member

La solución de dinis.dinis me parece bien, pero como dice SydLexia quizás "undiscriminating" tiene cierta ambigüedad en el contexto. ¿Que piensan de solucionarlo con algo como "...are indiscriminately rounding up suspects based only/solely on their bronze complexion."?
  6. SydLexia Senior Member

UK, English
    Sorry if this is too late for you but an idea just occured to me

"..... are just indiscriminately rounding up people with copper-coloured complexions"