1. daniel565 New Member

how can the word agarrar be translated if it has to deal with a couple. i would like to know if you us that if you want to implicate that you kissed someone or it significates more than that.
    e.g. nosotros hemos agarrado
    how would you translate this

thank you for your help
  2. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    It means that they slept with each other, I believe.
    It's not Spanish from Spain, but I seem to remember it is said in a Latinamerican country I can't unfortunately recall.
  3. Raphaelus Member

Spanish/English Puerto Rico
    Hm, yo creo que estás pensando en "coger" el cual en su sentido eufémico es sinónimo de "agarrar".
  4. Raphaelus Member

Spanish/English Puerto Rico
    Daniel, you should post the whole sentence, because that mere fragment leads to ambiguity.
  5. daniel565 New Member

El sabe que nosotros hemos agarrado.......
  6. daniel565 New Member

ok i found out on a translation side that in colloquial language it means picking on someone.
    so that can implicate both again: sleeping with each other, kissing each other or just dating each other. or is there any prefered translation. and it is from a southamerican text.
    thank you for your time.
  7. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español

In Perú agarrar is kind of a slang way to say kiss (to make out)

Nosotros hemos agarrado (Nosotros nos hemos besado)
    We have kissed

Ella/él es sólo un agarre para mi
    (He/she is just someone you kiss with, an adventure, with no feelings involved)

8. daniel565 New Member

thank you everyone for your replies.
  9. luzdelaluna New Member

US, L1=English
    I am a fourth grade Spanish-English Immersion teacher and my students always use the word "agarrar" in a context that I don't understand. For example, when they explain what prime factors are in multiplication, they will say, "Los factores primos son números primos que se puede multiplicar para agarrar un número compuesto." They use the word in a way that would mean "end up with" or "result in." I have never heard of this usage before. Also, the kids will insist that the word is spelled "agarar," although I can't find a word spelled "agarar" in any Spanish dictionary. Is there a word "agarar" that is different than "agarrar"?
  10. lmoon Member

Venezuela, Spanish
    There´s no such word agarar, the right word is agarrar, and yes, it can be used for sooo many different purposes, in different contexts.
  11. donchisciotte New Member

Italy, Spanish, English
    Does anybody know the preferred meaning of agarrar in chilean spanish, if referred to a couple?
    So, "agarramos", means "we had sex", or "we kissed"?
    Thank you very much,

12. Filis Cañí Banned

The hills
    Triana, caló
    "El sabe que nosotros hemos agarrado." ---Sexo.
    "El sabe que nosotros nos hemos agarrado." ---Pelea física.
  13. donchisciotte New Member

Italy, Spanish, English
    yes, but what would it mean in chilean "obviamente agarramos"?
    Thank you,

14. Marias-espanol

Marias-espanol Senior Member

Hola amigos,
    I have heard it to mean "touch=tocar" and my on line translater says "to take hold"!
  15. Filis Cañí Banned

The hills
    Triana, caló
    Literally it means to grab or hold forcefully with your hand. Garra: Claw.
  16. Nadias

Nadias Senior Member

Argentina - Español
    En argentina también lo usamos de esa forma, pero como verbo transitivo.

"Yo me agarré a Juan" ----> Lo besé.
  17. AlmaGem New Member

US, English
    To luzdelaluna - it sounds like from your example your students are using "agarrar" to mean "to get", as in, "If you add 4 and 4 you get 8." Right? I used to work with Mexican-American migrant workers in Michigan and I would always hear the word "agarrar" used simply to mean "get it". As in, Go get your shoes! = Agarra tus zapatos! Or, Agarratelo! But then, when I lived in Mexico for a few months, I was quickly advised NOT to use the verb that way because it had a sexual or otherwise inappropriate connotation.

To anyone with knowledge of Mexican Spanish, what are the most common uses of "agarrar" in Mexico? Does it ever simply (innocently) mean "to get" ?

Thanks in advance :)
  18. Codex New Member

Mexico español
    "Agarrar" is a word meaning "to take something", not quite accepted because it implies "garra": claw, instead of hand. Nevertheless it's used to imply "taking something by force or illegaly" in common idioms.
    "Agarrar a golpes": fighting or beating someone, "agarró el dinero": steal the money, "agarrar a besos": kiss intensely
    Normally "agarrar" has an innocent meaning but rough, vulgar. "Tomar" is the word to be used instead (be carefull because "tomar" also means "to drink", depending the context, sorry) or "coger", it means the same and is also used but this is the word with a sexual connotation. I'm mexican and I hardly find a sexual connotation in "agarrar", but you better use "tomar"... just in case.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010