Age schmage [prefix shm- / schm-]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cecillian, Feb 11, 2013.

1. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    I said"There is a real age difference between us"
    "Age_schmage"he said.

2. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    I suspect that was, "age, schmage!"

In casual English adding a rhyming nonsense word after another word indicates you don't place importance on the first word. "Money schmuney! What's important in life is family."

In this case, he means by the rhyme "age is not important!"

3. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    Hi
    I came up to "age schmage ".I know some how It means difference but Idonot understand exactly.
    "There is a real age difference between us "I said
    "Age schmage"he said.

4. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Schmage is a nonsense word which rhymes with age. Adding a rhyming nonsense word beginning with sch after another word is a way of indicating you do not consider the first word important. "Age schmage" means "age is not important."

Another example might be: Money, schmuney. All I care about is that he's a good father to my children.

Or if someone says it's a problem that your politics are different from your husband's, you might say, "politics, schmolitics. We love each other and that's what matters!"

Most of the people I know who use this rather fun way of speaking are either Jewish or from New York. Not sure if it is only this group which uses this, but I have heard it a lot from this demographic!

5. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    then what abt "a real schmage difference" in this sentence...There is a real schmage difference ... we made the sixties...u were 12"

6. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Can you provide a source and further context?
    Is this the answer to the "age, schmage" comment?
    If so it could just be the speaker having fun and using schmage instead of age to play off the earlier rebuttal. It's just a fun teasing interaction and not standard English.

7. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    yes buddy it is...There is a real age difference between us "
    "Age_schmage"Isaid
    "unfortunately,there is also a real schmage difference.we mage the sisties"he says speaking in a generational "we" that excludes me."we made the counterculture.You were 12"

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
  9. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    thank you both

10. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Please tell us where you read or heard this sentence ... and the context, i.e. situation.

(Also, please spell out abt and u ... and use appropriate capitalization, such as the first word of a sentence.)

11. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    I read this in the novel "who will run the Frog Hospital?" by Lorrie moore
    I understood the age_schmage...but what's the meaning of real schmage difference here? Does the speaker <want to> say that even the definition of schmage is different between you and us ;who are somehow from different era ...becouse he says that it was them who made the sixties ...the counterculture ...so they are different? I'm confused

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  12. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    No, schmage is not a real word. The speaker is having fun with the fact that his friend used a fake word. He's basically saying, well, call it schmage if you want but we still have a difference! It's really just wordplay and banter.

13. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    The speaker is saying that not only is there a real age difference, but there is a real difference in other things that the person is trying to dismiss with the "Age-schmage" comment. In this case, it's the fact that the age difference has meant the "schmage difference" speaker was old enough to help shape that '60s – and be shaped by them – while the "Age-schmage" speaker was just 12 years old – not really old enough to take an active part in the activities that we associate with that decade.

14. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    Thanks a lot ...Really Really:)

15. bethemasterofenglish Senior Member

Japanese
    The following is from "Outliers" written by Malcolm Gladwell.

"“But for stars?” the interviewer asked, meaning, Wouldn’t they have made an exception for you? B ICKEL : “Stars, schmars…” In the 1940s and 1950s, the old- line law firms of New York operated like a private club. They were all headquartered in downtown Manhattan, in and around Wall Street, in somber, granite- faced buildings."

Then, what does it mean by "Stars, schmars ..."?

16. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Moderator note: I have merged bethemasterofenglish's thread (post 15) with an earlier thread.

Please read the comments above or previous threads listed in post 8.

The repetition with the schm/shm prefixed to the repeated word could be seen as being jocular or being a little disdainful.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. onetwothreefour Senior Member

Can anyone please attest to the schm/shm feature being used outside the location/demographic indicated by Embonpoint in #4?

18. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    I think it would be understood anywhere in the English-speaking world. We know it's originally and characteristically Jewish, but we've borrowed numerous humorous ways of saying things from (American) Jewish speech, so the rest of us might even say it occasionally.

19. onetwothreefour Senior Member

Thank you, entangledbank.