agenda that Americans went to the polls in support of

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JBPARK, Mar 15, 2013.

1. JBPARK Senior Member

The Senate Budget reflects the values, priorities, and goals of those who support this second approach. It reflects the pro‐middle class agenda that the American people went to the polls in support of last election. And I believe it is a strong and responsible vision for building a foundation for growth and restoring the promise of American opportunity.
    <The Fiscal Year 2014, Senate Budget Resolution>

Dear Veterans,

I am kind of puzzled parsing the blue sentence. Maybe it's just me being non-native, but the construction looks somewhat forced to my eyes. Do native speakers have any bone to pick with the sentence? I had to read it over a couple of times to figure out the way the sentence is structured. But every time I read it, it seems like I have to blow past the "went to the polls" part to lock the sentence at an understandable dimension.

I would appreciate your take on this.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It's pretty typical, in my experience. Of course, it's not a sentence designed for quick understanding. :)

It reflects
    the pro‐middle class agenda
    that the American people went to the polls in support of
    last election.

3. waltern Senior Member

English - USA
    It's not the most elegant sentence in the world, but it doesn't trip me up or anything - it's political speech, with certain conventions (and its own agenda) built in.

Sure, the writer could have said "the agenda the voters supported in the last election" - but that doesn't evoke the image of "the (middle class) American people (going) to the polls".

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. JBPARK Senior Member

Many thanks, as always.