1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

aggianciare alle spalle

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by inquisitive1s, Jan 13, 2008.

1. inquisitive1s Senior Member

California
    English
    Hello,

I am trying to translate this into English, and I am not sure how to treat "spalle". I know it is the back of part of the machine (it concerns a water filtration device):

AGGANCIARE TAMBURO A ENTRAMBE LE SPALLE SE SI PREVEDE DI ENTRARE ALL'INTERNO DEL TAMBURO

This is from a list of operations that a qualified servicing technician may perform, under the chapter heading "Maintenance/Servicing" in the manual. There is no other context given for this item in the list... what should I assume this "back" is referring to? In English we would need to have some kind of antecedent, we can't just say "back"... it needs to be the rear of something... or perhaps a different word.

My attempt: "Fastening the drum onto both backs (of what?) if they are expected to enter the drum."

I also do not know what exactly is the subject that "si prevede di entrare"... I am assuming the spalle... So I am very uncertain about whether I am even translating this correctly...

Aiuto???
    Grazie

2. Memimao Senior Member

Busto Arsizio, Italy
    United Kingdom English
    Spalle in this context would probably be "sides". The lateral upright sections of a piece of furniture like a wardrobe are called spalle.

Presumably we are talking about preventing drum movement during maintenance/repair.

Secure the drum to both sides (of the bodywork) if entry into the drum is planned would be my try.

3. inquisitive1s Senior Member

California
    English
    Ah... I see. Thank you very much for clearing this up :)