Agreement of ποιανού/ποιανής

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by stelingo, Sep 22, 2013.

1. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    I am a little confused about how to use ποιανού/ποιανής. Do these words agree with the noun that immediately follows or with the person they refer to, the 'possessor'?

In my textbook there are the following questions:

Ποιανού κόρη είναι η Ελένη; I would have expected ποιανής, since κόρη is feminine.
    Ποιανής θείος είναι ο Γιώργος; I would have expected ποιανού, since θείος. is masculine.

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    "Ποιανού" means "whose" and is masculine genitive. "Whose (masc.) daughter is Helen?" So, if George & Mary are Helen's parent's, the answer to the question is "George".
    "Ποιανής" means "whose" and is feminine. "Whose (fem.) uncle is George?" Therefore, we are looking for the name of George's niece.

3. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    It might be easier to look at the sentences like this:

Η Ελένη είναι η κόρη ποιανού; Eleni is the daughter of which male person?
    Ο Γιώργος είναι ο θείος ποιανής; Giorgos is the uncle of which female person?

4. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    I see. That clarifies it, thanks. What do I say if I have no idea who the owner is, therefore I don't know if they're male or female? ποιανού;? Does ποιανών also exist, if there is more than one possessor?

5. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    The male "ποιανού" applies to both genders, if you don't know the gender of the owner. Yes, "ποιανών" exists.

6. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    Thanks....

7. Ippoliti New Member

greek
    ποιου /ποιας are formal while ποιανου/ποιανης are informal....u can also use τινος