1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Akárhol/bárhol

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by Nghi2, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Nghi2 New Member

AmEng/Vietnamese
    Szervusz!

I was wondering whether the words 'akárhol' and 'bárhol' were interchangeable, or if there was a difference in connotation and usage.

Köszönöm a segítségért! :)

2. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
  3. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hello Nghi2 and welcome to our forum!:)

Francis is right, mostly, they are interchangeable in their basic meaning but it is possible to find cases when they couldn't be. (Your question is a bit different from that in the link given above.)

In the following sentence, for instance, you couldn't use bárhol - that sentence exists only with akárhol:
    Vigyázz, nem akárhol vagyunk! (Example from: Magyar Értelmező Szótár) = Careful, we are not just in any old place! (= This is a place where you cannot behave in any way you fancy.)

And there may well be an example for the opposite, a sentence that only works with bárhol and not or not in the same meaning with akárhol.
    However, it is not easy to think of one.
    If you gave a specific sentence, we may be able to help further.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Tényleg :) ... Pedig akárhogy (bárhogy) is törtem a fejem, nem jutott eszembe példa a különboző használatra. Érdekes volna megfogalmazni valahogy ezt a különbséget ...

P.S. Bárhogy de nem akárhogy, talán itt is van némi különbség ...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. Nghi2 New Member

AmEng/Vietnamese
    Már láttam azt a 'thread'-t, de az a 'thread' teljesen magyar - és nem jól ismerem a magyar nyelvet.

There's nothing specific that I needed to be able to say, I just wanted to know if there was a difference, since I usually only see 'bárhol', and only recently came across 'akárhol'.

Köszönöm nagyon szépen a fogadtatásért és a magyarázatért!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012