1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

al-Andalus in Arabic script

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by tafanari, Jul 22, 2006.

1. tafanari Senior Member

English, Spanish, French, and Italian
    I have a question about al-Andalus and Arabic spelling. It turns out that in English, the word we get is Andalusia / Andalusian but in Spanish the word is Andalucía / andaluz. In Spanish, that c/z sounds like the "th" in thin (at least in parts of north and central Spain) so I'm guessing that the Castilians interpreted the Arabic sound that way while in English we just (mis?)pronounce it as s. Would Andaluthian be closer to the original Arabic? Are they siblants in Arabic that neither English nor Spanish have? Can anybody explain, more or less, how al-Andalus would sound in Arabic?

Thanks in advance.

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    It is pronounced "Al-andalus" in Arabic. The Arabic spelling is الأندلس.

3. tafanari Senior Member

English, Spanish, French, and Italian
    Thanks so much. I guess the Castilians just changed it for some reason.

4. CarlosPerezMartinez Senior Member

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Spain, Spanish
    In Andalucía itself the pronunciation is Andalusía. In Central and North Spain is pronounced Andaluthía. Pronunciation of names change strongly during the centuries. Take for example Madrid which was long time ago Magerit. So don`t be surprised by this. By the way Al-Andalus in the old times meant not only the current Andalusia but almost all Spain (except a small part in the North)

5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I'm curious -- I think there is more than one kind of "s" in Arabic. Which one is used in that word?

6. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Yes you're right. One is س (called seen) and the other is ص (called Saad). The one used in Andalusía is the seen (س)

7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Which one would you say is closer to the English "s"?

8. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    The س. The ص is very hard to describe how it sounds.. you'd have to hear someone say it.

9. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Outsider, You can hear the alphabet here

10. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I don't think I have the necessary application installed in my computer, but thanks anyway. My main question has been answered. :thumbsup: