alguien en estado de acogida

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by maclaurita, Sep 16, 2008.

1. maclaurita Member

spain spanish
    Could somebody help me with this term: "Nino en acogida" o "acogido por la comunidad de madrid", "en estado de acogida" (porque sus padres no tienen la custodia).

I tried this:

....15 children, included two handicapped children and another child whose tutelage was provided by the community of Madrid.

...15 children, included two handicapped children and another child taking in by the community of Madrid.

Thank you.
  2. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Hi maclaurita!

My suggestion is as follows:

"acogida" = "fostering"

"familia/hogar de acogida" = "foster parents/home".

3. maclaurita Member

spain spanish
    Thank you :)
  4. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    "a ward of the State"

ward: n 1: a person who is under the protection or in the custody of another, a a state.
  5. valdo Senior Member

Riga, Latvia
    Latvia, Latvian
    I guess you may use the word "care" as well in this context...

6. Memimao Senior Member

Busto Arsizio, Italy
    United Kingdom English
    It depends a lot on exactly what has taken place.

If the children have been given temporary hospitality, taken in is is correct.

If a legally recognised bond of relationship has been created then you could have either:

Guardianship, which can be exercised either by the Court or by a Court appointed figure. Here you would have a Ward of Court or Ward of Someone the Guardian). Here acogido would be placed under the guardianship of... or made wards of... This usually happens to orphans of both parents

Fostering, if the children are given alternate parenting for a period in a homelike situation by adults acting in this way, but again there is a legally declared basis for taking the children from their real parents (who may still be alive).

Naturally there is also adoption, where a child receives the legal status of offspring form the new parent(s)