Alimentos plásticos

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Sagrario Patón, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Sagrario Patón Member

La Mancha
    Hello, I'd like to translate "alimentos plásticos" to English. It's for a lesson on Natural Science for secondary students. I don't think that 'plastic food' is correct and I can't give more context.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

So you don't know what "alimentos plásticos" are?
  3. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Sagrario, si no sabemos qué son los alimentos plásticos, mal podemos intentar traducir eso.
  4. Ilialluna

Ilialluna Senior Member

Hola. Supongo que se refiere a las proteínas.
  5. Sagrario Patón Member

La Mancha
    Thanks for your answers. The thing is that it's a question I was asked by a colleague so I don't know exactly what it refers to.
    I will tell her about proteins. Thanks again for you help.

6. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Castilian (Patagonian)
    Well, without the longed-for context:

Plastic Food: Most of the restaurants in Japan have plastic food models of many of their dishes outside the restaurant or in their windows. There are some amazing models which look good enough to eat, and give you a great idea of what to order. There’s no problem trying to understand a badly translated menu when you can see a perfect plastic replica of what you can order.

Somehow the thread have to be answered :)
  7. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

There's also plastic food for kids to play with. But wouldn't that be "alimentos de plástico"?
    And actually, if no context is provided, we are asked not to answer (although it's not Sagrario's fault that he doesn't have any).
  8. Hola Sagrario:

Te hago llegar una definición -en castellano- del vocablo compuesto alimento plástico:

Un alimento plástico es aquel que sirve principalmente, como los albuminoides, para reparar la pérdida de materia que constantemente padece el organismo a consecuencia de su actividad fisiológica. (Fuente: Academia argentina de letras)

Espero que te sea de utilidad.

9. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

The term "plastic food" seems to have been in use about 100 years ago:
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
    "... Foods are divided into two main groups: nitrogenous, or proteid, foods, i.e., those which contain nitrogen, and nonnitrogenous, i.e., those which do not contain nitrogen. The latter group embraces the fats and carbohydrates, which collectively are sometimes termed heat producers or respiratory foods, since by oxidation in the body they especially subserve the production of heat. The proteids, on the other hand, are known as plastic foods or tissue formers, since no tissue can be formed without them. These latter terms, however, are misleading, since proteid foods may also give rise to heat both directly and indirectly, and the fats and carbohydrates are useful in other ways than in producing heat. ..."

If you wanted to use this hoary old term today (and why would you?), you would definitely have to make it very clear you didn't mean food made out of plastic.
  10. Sagrario Patón Member

La Mancha
    Thank you all for your answers. I think that now I have a clear idea of what plastic foods are.
    I didn't know about the Japanese thing. It's very interesting and useful when travelling there!
  11. Ilialluna

Ilialluna Senior Member

A mí me enseñaron aquello de alimentos plásticos y alimentos energéticos en algún momento de la carrera, y aunque ya tengo una edad no tengo 100 años...
    Eso sí, estoy de acuerdo en que son términos un poco obsoletos.
  12. Me parece que no es un vocablo obsoleto. Sí es un término que sólo se utiliza en textos de divulgación científica. :)
  13. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm wondering if it's more current in Spanish than English. I've read at least as much about nutrition as the next person and I've never seen it used.
  14. Quizás, deberíamos consultar un diccionario que posea terminología científica. De todos modos, yo llamé a la academia argentina de letras y me brindaron la definición que cité el 1º de octubre.