alirón (football)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by crises, Nov 21, 2006.

1. crises

crises Senior Member

EU Spanish/Catalan

I would like to know the (British) English collocation that means a football team has mathematically won a championship before the last match.

In European Spanish we say "conseguir el alirón". "Alirón" is the chant sung by the supporters when their team wins a cup or champioship. So, "cantar el alirón" means "to win a championship or a cup". However, it is used whenever the team wins the championship.

In short, how is it said in English a championship victory before the end?

Thank you in advance!

PS: My question is not about the chant, but the English collocation! ;)

2. NealMc Senior Member

Common phrase is "xxx have it all wrapped up" when the league is highly likely to be won ahead of the final game(s).

When the league is won, the winners are called "the champions" whether it's ahead of schedule or at the final whistle of the last match.

Manchester United and Chelsea this season is considered "a two horse race" - I can't think of an equivalent of "Alirón" unfortunately.

Neal Mc
  3. crises

crises Senior Member

EU Spanish/Catalan
    Thank you very much!
  4. sdj14 Junior Member

Malaga, Spain (student)
    English - United States
    In America we would say "clinch" the title. Like With two games left to play Barçelona has already clinched the title.