All Dialects: تسبيع

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Schem, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    Hello everyone,

تسبيع (pronounced tasbee3) is the local word we use in my region to refer to the action of dish washing. I believe it's common in Najd and have also heard it used on Kuwaiti soap operas but would like to know the word's extent beyond that. Is the word used in your region? If so, how common is it in relation to تغسيل صحون/مواعين?

Much appreciated

2. Hemza Senior Member

Paris, France
    French, Moroccan Arabic
    Sorry to not reply directly to your question but in Morocco, we use "مواعين" (pronounced "maw3an", don't know why :D). I never heard about "تسبيع", we use "غسل المواعين" :).

3. لنـا

لنـا Senior Member

فلسطين
    Palestinian Arabic, Hebrew
    It's common in palestine too, but غسل and تسبيع aren't the same, غسل is simply to wash, but تسبيع is to wash seven times! (Or three) according to sunna.

4. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    In Lebanon we use جلي for dish-washing. تسبيع means "making something seven times".

5. HBZ55 Senior Member

Tunisia
    Arabic - Tunisia
    In Tunisia we say "ghsal elma3oon".

6. Haroon Senior Member

C A I R O
    Arabic-Egypt
    in some areas of Egypt also, Cairo and some parts of Upper Egypt at least.

7. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    Yes ma3oun or lome3en

8. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

For those inquiring about ma3oun ماعون (pl. مواعين mawa3iin in my region), it's a common word used across the Arab world that's well-attested even in the Koran. It's not what the thread is about, though, so I'd appreciate it if you guys keep the side discussions to private messaging/another thread. :)

Interestingly enough, we have both مجلى (kitchen sink) and جلاية (another word for dishwashing machine) but we don't use the verb itself. تسبيع seems to have developed out of washing something seven times to washing dishes even if only once.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014