All dialects: 敲爆栗

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Ghabi, May 10, 2012.

1. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Hello everyone! In this piece of news you can read the expression "以「菱角」敲打他的頭", an expression I often heard when I was a kid (except that we use the verb hang1 or kok1, not haau1 敲 in speech), but I haven't heard of it for many years. What nostalgia!

I think the Northern equivalent is 敲爆栗 (interestingly enough, it seems to be 栗暴 in 《水滸》). The closest thing I can think of in English is "noogie" in American English, although 敲爆栗 is a single strike, and doesn't involve the action of rubbing. Now I wonder what do you say in your dialect for this action? Any other fruits besides chestnut and water caltrop?

2. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
  3. kareno999 Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Mandarin
    Never heard of this expression

4. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Is "打栗暴" a kind of light punishment handed out to kids (or among kids)? I've seen it done in other countries around China also, so I suppose most Chinese dialects should have some colourful words for it.

5. Lamb67

Lamb67 Senior Member

敲脑门可以是后者的书面形式,弹bei_er(发音是被+北京儿话)头

6. kareno999 Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Mandarin
    I see. Then we say 弹bengr or 弹脑瓜bengr.

7. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    In my dialect, 浙江青田话,that action is called 盖*头教、打头教。
    Or at least we pronounce that way, I'm not sure if 头教 is the right way to write it.
    And the action of receiving hits is figuratively called 吃,e.g. 吃“头教”、吃拳、吃巴掌。

*actually pronounced /dʒʊə/, it's very unlikely that it's written 盖,but it has the same meaning as 盖, as in 盖章。

In Italy, in the Rome dialect, we have two actions that are called with a food name:
    1) a very strong punch in the face is called pigna=pine cone(松果)
    2) a slap in the face is called pizza

My uncle used to own a pizza restaurant in Rome. When I go there to eat a pizza, he would joke with me asking 要吃pizza吗? Then I say yes and he slaps me...

8. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    A belated thanks for all the replies!
    I may be mistaken, but does 敲脑门/弹脑瓜崩 mean to flick one's index finger against someone? The action I want to ask about is one done by one's knuckle, not finger.