1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

All dialects: Number one, number two

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by barkoosh, Oct 29, 2013.

1. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    Hello

In English, "number one" and "number two" are euphemisms for "urination" and "defecation" respectively. I would like to know what is used euphemistically in Arab countries for that. In Lebanon, we say يعمل الزغيرة (lit., 'do the small one' for 'do number one') and يعمل الكبيرة ('do the big one' for 'do number two'). So what about other countries?

2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Egypt, يعمل حمام خفيف and يعمل حمام تقيل

3. Hemza Senior Member

Paris, France
    French, Moroccan Arabic
    I don't know if in Moroccan we have those kind of expression, what is sure is that the Egyptian one is too funny!!!! (even the Lebanese ^^)

In Moroccan, we can say "6alaqha" (he launched it) to speak about the "big one" ^^.

4. momai

momai Senior Member

Arabic-Syria
    They are also used in Syria.I also used to hear "bade roo7 fanger" from a lebanese friend which is also used in Syria as "bede roo7 fer" to mean something like I want to urinate in a more polite way,and the whole process is usually called nunu6i6.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  5. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    I think in Tunisia for the big one we say يستراح

6. pranisde New Member

English- England
    Ghan tarta6
    Is a very colloquial Moroccan way of saying "I'm bursting" about "number one"!!!

7. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    I'm not sure about number two (I've heard people say بطوّل or ابطوّل but it's nothing standard). For number 1 though, people in my region usually say ابطيّر الشراب or بطيّر الشراب depending on which future form one uses.

8. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Is it considered impolite to say "يطرطر" in Egypt?

9. ahmedcowon Senior Member

Yes, considered impolite by many people, the common is to say "يعمل حمام مَية"

The words خفيف and تقيل are mainly used by mothers when talking about their babies.

10. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    The form I used to hear was يعمل التقيلة rather than حمام تقيل.

11. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    Thanks everybody for your replies. By the way, similarly to بطيّر الشراب of Schem's post, we also say بطيّر مَي for number one.

12. Zoghbi Senior Member

arabic (Algeria)
    Hello,
    As a know,
    Algeria:

number one: يرشّ الما
    number two: يطيّر الما

Actually, only few people make the distinction, the majority use يطيّر الما for both case.

13. Arabic_Police_999 Senior Member

arabic
    here what I use in gulfian arabic :)
    number one : قاعد يسوي الأولى/الصغيرة he is doing the first one/the small one
    number two : قاعد يسوي الثانية/الكبيرة he is doing the second one/the big one