All I want is you

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Parlamour, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Parlamour New Member

Hi, how can i say "all i want is you" in russian
  2. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    Ты - всё, что я хочу.
  3. Parlamour New Member

Thank you,
    You made my day.
  4. DrDIT

DrDIT Senior Member

As a native speaker I'd say that Ты - всё, что я хочу although being a correct literal translation does not sound right in Russian, and also implies some sexual context which is probably not intended in the original sentence. A better way of expressing the idea would be Мне нужна только ты (I need only you). In Russian the expressions like я тебя хочу (I want you) have mostly just one, clear, sexual meaning.
  5. Sobakus Senior Member

Personaly I don't see any sexual connotation in normal circumstances (certainly not more of it than in the English sentence), while мне нужна только ты has a subtext of "I don't love her, I love you". To avoid it, one could say ты - всё, что мне нужно, but I still see slavic_one's attempt as best expressing the idea.
  6. Ёж! Senior Member

Hi. The short answer is nohow. You will have to say something different, as is the usual and normal case with saying things in other languages. Now, if you mean the "pseudopoetic" meaning, then you might want to opt for "Кроме тебя, мне ничего не надо". Best luck.