all of a sudden wrong side

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MaryamSeresht, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MaryamSeresht

MaryamSeresht Senior Member

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    Hi,

Here, after a terrible riot in Kalimpong in India, a deep discripancy happens between different nations: Napalies, Bengais, Tibetans, and so on. In a way that, If you were a Bengali, Nepaies don't acknowledge you in the street.

Here Lola describes her sister Noni about a story happened the other way, when she, on her way, has seen some one, familiar(Pem Pem), but she rushed past, without acknowledging her:

"Pem Pem??"
    Pem Pem gave Lola a beseeching embarrased look and rushed past.
    "All of a sudden wrong side, no?" said lola, "There is nobody who won't abandon you."

Would you please tell what does the red part mean?

Thank you so much.
    It's part of Inheritance of Loss.

2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I understand the red part to mean: You are all of the sudden on the wrong side, aren't you?

3. MaryamSeresht

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    You mean the opposite political side?

4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Sort of ... it sounds to me like someone got caught unawares on the opposite side, politically. Oops.

Granted, I cannot fully understand your context.

5. MaryamSeresht

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    There is a political conflict at the time of story in India, that makes people, neighbors apart or far from each other.

6. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Whereas until recently they were getting familiar with each other, now all of the sudden (actually there is an explanation for this, the ethnic discrepancies) this has changed and they are as strangers. I see somewhat an ironic use.