1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

all over the place

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by dukaine, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    Is there a Hebrew equivalent for this phrase, more specifically, the figurative sense? Is it different from the literal sense?

"Your clothes are all over the place."

Literal: There are items of clothing scattered around the room or house.

Figurative: Your wardrobe has lots of pieces that do not define a specific style or don't make cohesive outfits.

Thanks!

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    מפוזרים בכל מקום will do.

3. anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    This answers the "literal" question.
    I really don't know an expression for the figurative sense.

4. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    Can it work for both, allowing context to dictate meaning?

5. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    What about something to do with mess? Would any of בלגן/מבולגן , מהפכה , אי-סדר work?

6. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    No, this is a commonly used expression equivalent to the English one.

7. anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    You mean to say that "בגדיך מפוזרים בכל מקום"is equivalent to "Your wardrobe has lots of pieces that do not define a specific style or don't make cohesive outfits."?
    I can only say that I never heard this expression in this figurative way.

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    When you say "do not define a specific style or don't make cohesive outfits" what do you mean? because if its the figurative meaning, i dont see how clothes all over the place fits in. perhaps you can elaborate more on the figurative.

EDIT:
    because if its the literal -> because if its the figurative.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  9. anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    Please read post #1. The question was asked there. I only was asking origumi if he thinks that "מפוזרים בכל מקום" has the figurative meaning described in post #1.

10. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    i can read, cant i? if im asking it means i didnt understand - and i explicitly said "i dont see how [...] fits in."

11. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    מפוזרים בכל מקום is a common expression. Can be applied to any object, also to people. It is practically equivalent to all over the place, even too equivalent, so maybe the Hebrew expression is based on Yiddish or another language.

12. anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    Nobody doubts you can read, arielipi.

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. We all agree that "Your clothes are all over the place" in the literal meaning is "בגדיך מפוזרים בכל מקום". And that with a change of the noun, it can be used for any object or even people.

The question is if we can say "בגדיך מפוזרים בכל מקום" for the figurative meaning that dukaine (in post #1) gave to the English expression "Your clothes are all over the place": "Your wardrobe has lots of pieces that do not define a specific style or don't make cohesive outfits." By that I understand, somebody who dresses lacking a particular pattern. Going to an extreme:somebody who would wear a tuxedo jacket with jeans...
    I don't think that
    "בגדיך מפוזרים בכל מקום" expresses this figurative meaning. My question to origumi was if he thinks it does.

13. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    "elaborate [...] figurative".
    i asked dukaine.
    well, of course you cant use it as origumi suggested to figurative.