1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

All Slavic languages: Бил бил бил Бил (Bulgarian)

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by lordwings, Jan 22, 2013.

1. lordwings Junior Member

Bulgarian
    How would people from the other slavic countries understand a phrase like this:

"Бил бил бил Бил."

(The phrase is in bulgarian rennarative mood, the last word is the english name Bill )

2. ilocas2 Senior Member

White plant was beating Bill :confused:

3. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Wild guessing: I would have beaten Bill? ???

4. lordwings Junior Member

Bulgarian
    Well, in fact it means "He (someone) said that (he has heard that) he (assuming someone else) has beaten Bill" though I was wondering how would it sound for speakers of other slavic languages, because the meaning of the word "bil" is quite different with each repetition.

5. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Well, I kind of guessed which lexemes are involved, but they simply don't form anything meaningful in my language. The closest BCS (semi-)grammatical sentence, on which I based my answer, would be:

Bio bih bio Bila (da sam znao da je lopov).

'I would have beaten Bill (if I knew he was a thief).'

In BCS, bio bih is auxiliary marking past conditional (bitiPERF + bitiAORIST), second bio is from 'beat', and Bill is in accusative, naturally.

6. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    In Ukrainian it would simply sound like a string of nonsense words. Other than the proper name Bill, the only word in Ukrainian that is close to the form бил is біль, which means "pain."

7. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    That does not mean anything in Russian. The only word I would understand is бил (hit - past tense, masc.). The English name Bill is spelled with two л's (Билл).

8. Tchesko

Tchesko Senior Member

Paris 12
    Czech
    That requires quite a deal of imagination. :D I suppose the Czech version would be "Bílé býlí bilo Billa".

9. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian that would be
    белая былинка била Билла :)

10. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Lordwings, could you provide us a deeper grammar analysis? We still don't know which бил is from which lexeme.

11. lordwings Junior Member

Bulgarian
    Бил - past aorist participle of the auxiliary verb "съм" (third person, masculine, singular) - In this position it is used for creating rennarative mood, which means that the speaker is not a witness of the event he's talking about

бил - past aorist participle of the auxiliary verb "съм" (third person, masculine, singular) - creates past aorist tense, the event has happened a time ago (might also be considered that a third person, from whom the information comes from, is not sure in it because is not a witness)

бил - past aorist participle of the verb бия (to beat).

Бил - as is written above - the english name Bill - the second l which exists in english is omitted.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  12. Azori

Azori Senior Member

In Slovak it would not make much sense, if any. Bil = third person masc. sing. past tense form of the verb biť - to beat, byľ = stalk, stem, halm (of a plant).
    Biela bylina bila Billa. (A white herb was beating Bill.)

Biela byľ bila Billa. (A white stalk was beating Bill.)

Bill bil bielu byľ. (Bill was beating a white stalk.)

Bill bil byľ. (Bill was beating a stalk.)

Doesn't make much sense, really....

13. lordwings Junior Member

Bulgarian
    In Bulgarian "White plant was beating Bill" would be:

Бяло растение биеше Бил.

Where the verb "бия" is in past imperfect tense.
    However, in the sentence above is not completely clear who is beating whom, because it might mean both - "A white plant was beating Bill" and "Bill was beating a white plant" so more clear versions of it would be:

Бялото растение биеше Бил. - here is used definite article at the adjective white so it is "The white" instead "A white", assuming that the plant has been already mentioned in the context.

In Bulgarian, there isn't indefinite article so, to become more clear , sentences where the plant is the one who is beating look like this:

Някакво бяло растение биеше Бил. - Some white plant was beating Bill.
    Едно бяло растение биеше Бил. - One white plan was beating Bill.

Otherwise:

Бил биеше бяло растение. - Bill was beating a white plant.

Бил бяло растение биеше. - Bill was beating a white plant. - archaic, poetic.

Бил растение бяло биеше. - Bill was beating a white plant. - archaic, poetic

Бил растение биеше бяло. - Bill was beating a white plant. - archaic, poetic

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  14. DarkChild Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Instead of rastenie, you can use the word bile to keep in line with the confusion :D

Бил бил бил Бил is not a realistic sentence. No one would say such a thing. By the way, the way I understood it was that Bill has beaten another Bill. I don't think you can string three participles this way. Also, the bil part meaning beat would actually be nabil ​in a realistic sentence.

15. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    That's exactly the way I understood it the first time as well.

I'm having trouble understanding the sentence as well; grammatically it could make sense I guess, but saying it out loud sounds like there's one too many бил for it to be a realistic utterance.

16. lordwings Junior Member

Bulgarian
    The sentence would rather not be used that way indeed. It depends on the context:

Казаха, че когато той бил там, той всеки ден бил бил Бил. - Someone said, that when he was there he was beating Bill each day.

Sometimes it would be shortened to:
    Бил бил (на)бил Бил. - When the one who says it, doubts what he has heard, so he's not willing to explain it in details.

The four "bil" sentence is seldom used. However it is intelligible and I was curious how the word changes it's meaning on different positions in the sentence and is it like this in the other slavic languages.