All Slavic languages: a random Slovak sentence

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by ilocas2, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ilocas2 Senior Member

Hello, this is a random Slovak sentence from net, how do you understand it? How do you say it in your language?

EDIT: I don't want replies from Czech and Slovak speakers. I changed the sentence.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. thegreathoo Senior Member

Srpski
    I understand archeological, and then "at Old Lubovna still has not commenced, claims archeologist Zuzana Kasenčakova.

3. matkec New Member

Croatian
    Literally, word by word, I would interpret it as

„Such archeological findings/excavations of castle walls in Stara Lubova we have never experienced,“ claims archeologist Zuzana Kasenčakova.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Stará Ľubovňa has never seen/experienced an archaeological excavation of its castle walls like this before, says ....

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian (before I read other's responses):
    Такие археологические [výskum múry] в? городе Старой Любовни не существовали, сказала археолог Жужана Каснечакова

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    "Such archæological searches (or perhaps it means excavations) /múry/ of the city (but I think know that hrad means castle) in Stara Lubovna haven't taken place yet", claims Z. K.
    If we assume that múr is derived from the Latin murus, then translation goes like:
    Такива археологически търсения/разкопки на градските/дворцовите стени в Стара Любовня още не са се състояли, твърди З. К.

7. DarkChild Senior Member

Bulgarian
    The archeologist Zuzana is saying something about archeology in the Old something. That's all I got.

8. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    IMO many Czechs would be puzzled by the word múry. In Czech můra (< móra) means 'night butterfly (moth)' (mora in Slovak).

9. ilocas2 Senior Member

That sentence means

Walls of castle in Stará Ľubovňa have not experienced archeological research like this yet, claims archeologist Zuzana Kasenčáková.

in Czech it would be

"Takovýto archeologický výzkum zdi hradu v Staré Ľubovni ještě nezažily," tvrdí archeoložka Zuzana Kasenčáková.

Czech sentence

"Takovýto archeologický výzkum můry hradu v Staré Ľubovni ještě nezažily," tvrdí archeoložka Zuzana Kasenčáková.

would mean

Moths of castle in Stará Ľubovňa have not experienced archeological research like this yet, claims archeologist Zuzana Kasenčáková.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  10. Bostan New Member

Kishinev (Moldova)
    Romanian & Russian
    I understand just "Such archeological .......city in Staré Ľubovni is/are ............archeologist Zuzana Kasenčáková.

11. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    As a Ukrainian speaker (with primary exposure to the western Ukrainian dialects), I had no difficulty understanding the sentence. The most literal rendering in Ukrainian would be:

"Такого археологічного дослідження мури замку (або фортеці) в Старій Любовні ще не зазнавали," підтвердить археолог Жужана Касенчакова.

It sounds rather odd in the passive voice, however.

12. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    IMHO the sentence is in the active voice. The subject of the sentence is "múry" = the walls.

13. Wildfire-KRR New Member

Krasnodar, Russia
    Russian - Russia
    Russian native speaker here.
    Well, I understood virtually nothing. :)

„Takýto archeologický výskum múry hradu v Starej Ľubovni ešte nezažili,“ tvrdí archeologička Zuzana Kasenčáková.
    This archaeological výskum (I thought it's "finding") múry hradu in Starej Ľubovni before nezažili,“ says an archaeologist Zuzana Kasenčáková.

In Russian it would look like this:

[variant 1 - as close to the Slovak sentence as possible but not lexically/grammatically correct]
    "Takich archěologičeskich poiskov sťeny zamka v Staroj Ľubovne ješčo ne znali", - tvěrdit [utvěrždajet] archěolog Śuzanna Kaśenčakova.

[variant 2 - more natural]
    "Sťeny zamka v Staroj Ľubovne raneje ne znali podobnych archěologičeskich raskopok", - skazala archěolog Śuzanna Kaśenčakova.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  14. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    Meaning of the given sentence appears to be rather
    Stara Lubovna Castle has not experienced an archaelogical excavation within its Walls like this before

15. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    Apologies. I was being somewhat lazy in stating my opinion. What I meant was that it sounds somewhat strange to have the walls as the subject of the sentence. Translated literally, the sentence is:

The walls of the castle in Stara Lubovna have not yet undergone archeological investigations such as these.

Sylistically, I would prefer:

We have not yet undertaken such archeological research on the walls of the castle in Stara Lubovna....

16. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    That sentence is all right in Slovak too

Za múrmi Staroľubovnianskeho hradu sme takýto archeologický výskum ešte nevykonávali.

(The word sequence is subjectively based)

17. jarabina Senior Member

English - Scotland
    With apologies to ilocas2 for derailing the thread a bit, I wondered if we could just agree on the various English/Slovak translations? Partly for my own peace of mind, but it will also help those wondering how the sentence would translate into their own languages...

The original sentence reads:
    and basically means as Vianie pointed out - The walls of Stará Ľubovňa Castle have not yet seen an archaeological excavation like this before. The Slovak does not mean that the walls are being excavated but that excavations are taking place within the walls. Is this correct? (If so, I prefer seen to experience.)

Then we have:

Which I think, but here I am on ropey ground, translates as something like: Na múroch hradu v Starej Ľubovni sme doteraz nevykonali takýto archeologický výskum ...

The third sentence is
    which I think would be We have not yet undertaken archaeological research like this within the walls of Stará Ľubovňa Castle.

18. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    Original article confirms that the archaeological works took place within the castle walls.

19. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    "Múry hradu" is a synecdoche. Don't take it literally.

20. jarabina Senior Member

English - Scotland
    How right you are:) - talk about not seeing the wood for the trees (or even the castle for its walls...).

So, actually the most natural translation of the original sentence is: Stará Ľubovňa Castle has not seen an archaeological excavation like this before.

Thanks

21. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    It depends on whether you want to preserve all figures of speech used in your translation or just state the plain fact.

A plain statement of a fact : There has never been an archeological research* like this before in Stara Lubovna Castle.
    1st figurative "layer" added – personification : Stara Lubovna Castle has never seen/experienced an archaeological research like this before.
    2nd figurative "layer" added – synecdoche : The walls of Stara Lubovna Castle have never seen/experienced an archaeological research like this before.

*Though the article seems to deal only with "the most physical" part of an archeological research - excavation, I see it in a wider context where also other parts are implied – surveying, analysis, documentation, preservation,... That said, I am not an archeologist so I may very well be wrong. :)