All Slavic languages: aspect of to get up

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by jazyk, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    I somehow find it surprising that in Czech you have to use the imperfective to ask What time did you get up? (V kolik hodin jsi vstával(a))? How does it work in your language? Please use the same sentence What time did you get up? and tell us whether the verb is perfective or imperfective.

2. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

In Serbian it is perfect.
    U koliko sati si ustao/la?

Are you sure that this is imperfect in Czech? I would say it is the same as in Serbian - auxiliary verb be and participle....

3. winpoj Senior Member

You don't HAVE to use the imperfective verb in Czech.
    It's perfectly OK to say "V kolik hodin jsi vstal/a"?
    However, it is true that "V kolik hodin jsi vstával/a" is often used, perhaps more frequently than the former sentence. The reason might be that it describes the whole painful process of getting up - from waking up, arguing with the alarm clock to brushing your teeth and perhaps grasping the lifeline in the form of coffee, rather than the one-off action of leaving bed.

4. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Very well described. :D

5. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    O kótrej wstałeś? is the most usual question in Polish. For us it's quick, doesn't mean not painful. ;)

O której wstawałeś? is technically correct, but you'd need a good reason for using it so that it wouldn't sound off.

Tom

6. Tolovaj_Mataj Senior Member

Ljubljana, SI
    Slovene, Slovenia
    What time did you get up?

In Slovene it really depends on what do you want to tell.
    If there's a question about an everyday habit, then the imperfective must be used: Ob kateri uri si vstajal/vstajala, ko si živel/živela v Angliji?

If you talk about an isolated event, the perfective is used:
    V soboto ste bili v hribih, ne? Ob kateri uri si vstal/vstala?

7. slavian1

slavian1 Junior Member

Poland, Polish
    In Polish it's generally similiar to explanation given by vinpoj. The Imperfective form means the whole process of preparing oneself for a newcomming day (as vinpoj described). But it's rather seldom used.
    And we are interested at what hour the process has begun.
    Using the perfective form one means at what hour someone have left his/her bed (or at what hour the process of preparing for a new day has finished).

O której wstawałeś can also describe repetitive action, as in sentence:

O której wstawałeś w zeszłym tygodniu? What time did you use to get up last week?

8. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    I should have specified I'm interested in What time did you get up (today)? Anyway, all answers so far (except Czech, as I already knew) point to the perfective being used here.

9. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Fantastic thread to show how imperfect and perfect verbs can work. Too bad we cannot check the rest of Slavic languages.

10. Azori

Azori Senior Member

Slovak:

O koľkej si vstal(a)? (perfective)

O koľkej si vstával(a)? (imperfective)

11. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    Ukrainian:

О котрій (годині) ти встав (сьогодні)? -Perfective: What time did you get up (today)?
    О котрій (годині) ти вставав? Imperfective: What time did you used to get up - habitually over the course of a period of time that has now ended. This would sound strange on its own without context (e.g., What time did you used get up when you used to have/had to be at work by 7:00)?