All Slavic languages: bless you vs cheers!

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Oct 31, 2012.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Dear foreros,

could we prepare this thread with expressions used after a sneeze vs before having alcohol? Is there any other specific expression wishing health? (after a burst of cough, after a hiccup, and so on).

If I'm not wrong (please, correct me!), in Croatian there is "Na zdravlje!" after a sneeze vs "živjeli!" for alcoholic drinks. Do other Slavic languages mantain too this dichotomy?

2. Azori

Azori Senior Member

In Slovak it's "Na zdravie!" for both.
  3. ilocas2 Senior Member

Na zdraví! for both, after sneezing also Zdravíčko! (diminutive of zdraví - health) or Pozdrav Pánbůh! (Greet lordGod)
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian doesn't: it's на здравје in both cases.
  5. Azori

Azori Senior Member

There is also the word živio (and its rarer variants živila and živili) which is used to wish good health and long life, usually when proposing a toast at celebrations, birthday parties, weddings and the like. However, it's of foreign origin (it was allegedly loaned from BCS just before the revolutions in 1848) and it's used far less than "na zdravie". There is a song that includes this word (not sure where it comes from and what language it is in, though) that is commonly sung at celebrations in Slovakia, mostly among older people. The lyrics translate roughly as: May you live long, many years (the lines are repeated). There are different versions of the lyrics on the web. Here are two of them - 1., 2.
  6. Vanja Senior Member

After sneezing: Na zdravlje! ((God) bless you!)
    When toasting: U zdravlje / Živjeli! Живели! (Cheers! / To your health!)
    Pijem u tvoje zdravlje - I drink (to) your health
  7. marco_2 Senior Member

In Polish is Na zdrowie! for both, though when you sneeze twice or more, some people add Sto lat!
  8. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Slovenian: Na zdravje! for both.
  9. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    In Ukrainian for both it's на здоров'я or some variant (e.g., Дай Боже здоров'я).
  10. chernobyl Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian: "наздраве" (nazdrave) for both.
  11. ectuohy Member

NJ, USA
    North Jersey English (rhotic)
    I was taught the distinction--may just be literary--between на здоров'я for the toast and будь(те) здоровий/а for the sneeze...
  12. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Toast: на здоровье /na zdorovie/ (to/for the health)
    Sneezing: будь здоров /bud' zdorov/(be healthy)

They also say на здоровье as "you are welcome" in response to "thank you", but it is mostly used jockingly nowadays.
  13. BezierCurve Senior Member

Also, you will often hear simply "Zdrowie!" or "Zdrówko!" in case of "Cheers!".