All Slavic languages: bread and butter

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

How do you call these types of food in your language?? Please, no literal translation if you know the food and use something unique.... Thanks.

chleba s máslem [bread with butter]
    chleba se sádlem [bread with fat, lard?]
    chleba s marmeládou [bread with jam]
  2. Azori

Azori Senior Member

chlieb s maslom
    chlieb s masťou
    chlieb s marmeládou / s lekvárom / s džemom
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)

kruh z maslom
    kruh z zaseko (zaseka = a Slovenian pork fat / bacon spread; image)
    kruh z marmelado / z džemom
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  4. bibax Senior Member

chleba is genitive (possible partitive genitive: vezmi si chleba s máslem; or negative genitive: nemám chleba);

in nominative: chléb
  5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Modern dictionaries say: chleba is spoken, colloquial form in nominative and I tend to hear it as well. Correct/incorrect is another question.
  6. marco_2 Senior Member

chleb z masłem
    chleb ze smalcem
    chleb z dżemem / z marmoladą , so nothing unique :)
  7. BezierCurve Senior Member

Even though I'm not really a speaker of Czech, I find this one very interesting... Would you be able to give two or three examples of "chleba" as nominative?
  8. vianie Senior Member

"chleba" in the nominative is very common in colloquial Slovak as well. What examples would you like to get?
  9. BezierCurve Senior Member

For example: is it possible to use "chleba" in the meaning: "This bread is old"?
  10. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    хляб с масло (bread with butter) & хляб с масло и мед (bread with butter and honey) are two common phrases and dishes.
  11. vianie Senior Member

Of course it is possible: Tenhle chleba je starej. Tento chleba je starý.

However such a sliced bread is more often called krájený chléb, krájaný chlieb.
  12. BezierCurve Senior Member

Thanks; this is something I never noticed.
  13. vianie Senior Member

Again, there may be the exceptions. Slovak Easterners, or people minded to speak standard language, or those whose only native word is "chlieb".
  14. Azori

Azori Senior Member

For Slovak I'd like to add that butter / lard / jam is usually combined with something else, or at least that's how I know it. For instance butter with ham or vegetables, jam, honey, cheese, mustard... , lard with onions, bacon cracklings...
  15. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian, if you present these as a meal item rather than a combination of bread + something, it is бутерброд /buterbrod/ (sandwich; from German Butterbrot) rather than хлеб /khleb/, bread:

с маслом
    /s maslom/ - I guess that would be a tautology?
    бутерброд с салом /s salom/
    бутерброд с мармелaдом, c вареньем /s marmeladom, s varenyem/
  16. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Quite interesting comment. :idea:
  17. mmbata

mmbata Junior Member

Novi Sad (Vojvodina)
    Serbian & Croatian
    In Serbian:
    hleb s puterom/maslacem [bread with butter]

In Croatian:
    kruh s maslacem [bread with butter]

18. Lanmi New Member

Serbian - Serbia
    Per mmbata's comment, I'd like to expand for Serbian.

It's not uncommon to hear "hleba" in Serbian, too; also, "leba" can be often heard (dropping the "h" is pretty common) but not "leb".
    In western areas of Serbia and among the Serbs in B&H and Croatia, you can hear "(h)ljeb(a)" more often than not.

Also, "s(a) džemom/marmeladom/varenjem" - all three can be translated as [with jam], but the three products often differ.
  19. Perimisko New Member

hrvatski (croatian)

kruh s maslacem
    kruh s masti/mašću
    kruh s marmeladom/pekmezom/džemom (as Lammi said - the terms differ)

word "hljeb" in croatian is obsolete in the daily conversation. although by ortography it can be used in the form: " hljeb kruha" - "a loaf of bread", thus it lost the primary meaning of the word for bread.
  20. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    It's very similar in Slovenian. Kruh refers to bread, while hlebec refers to a loaf of bread: "hlebec kruha."
  21. Selyd Senior Member

Українською, Ukrainian:
    бутерброд = хліб з маслом = накладанець (put butter, meat, greens) = мазанка (to spread)
    бутерброд з сиром = хліб з сиром
    бутерброд з салом = хліб з салом
    бутерброд з ковбасою = хліб з ковбасою
    бутерброд з повидлом (мармеладом) = хліб з повидлом (мармеладом)
    сендвич = хліб+щось+хліб (bread+&+bread)
  22. Ksnoaa

Ksnoaa New Member

I am a Russian native speaker. We never say бутерброд с вареньемas this would mean bread+butter+cheese/sausage.
    We also can not say
    бутерброд с мармеладом because it is a nonsence: мармелад is actually a condensed jam which you can not spread.
    we say хлеб с вареньем or bread with jam. By the way we have an English loan word джем which is thicker than варенье.
  23. Ksnoaa

Ksnoaa New Member

Well, one more Russian word for bread fried in butter and served soft, sometimes fried with egg also is гренка /grenka/.
  24. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Sorry, but some people do. See any search engine for the proof. And I don't think that your explanation is accurate; in particular, the last "cheese/sausage" component doesn't quite match original red words.
    Let's put it like this: бутерброд literally means "butter+bread" in German. But in Russian this word is also adopted for similar snacks without any butter. Some dictionaries say "хлеб с маслом и <чем-то>", some dictionaries say "хлеб с маслом или <чем-то>". National standard of catering terms does not require бутерброд to have any butter in it.

Why is it a nonsense? No one was suggesting spreading. Бутерброд does not require spreading. You just slice this condensed jelly and put the slices on, much like you do with the sausage...
  25. francisgranada Senior Member

For curiosity, in the Eastern Slovak dialects:
    chleb/chlib zo šmaľcom

I agree, though perhaps due to the influence of the mass media, today is not so rare to hear chleba instead of chlieb even in the East of Slovakia.
  26. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    That could be a regional difference. I see your location is listed as Ukraine.
  27. Ksnoaa

Ksnoaa New Member

:) I do not, but I thought we are discussing the literal langage and not what can be found in search engines. I have never seen anybody cutting the мармелад in order to spread it on a bread. ПОВИДЛО- maybe. So here is what one generally understands under мармелад. I agree that you may find бутерброд without butter on it. (Especially in cheap diner's). I never heard anybody say бутерброд с вареньем. It sounds uneducated to me. 6_(1).jpg marmelad.jpg
  28. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)

I know that someone already gave the answer, but still... yes, "chleba" is spoken form, there is no difference, it's also masculine and it differs only in nominative.