All Slavic languages: Colloquial names of towns

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by ilocas2, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ilocas2

ilocas2 Senior Member

Hello, I'm interested if you use in your language some slang names for towns and cities in your country. They are usually shorter than original names. They are used mostly by people living in that town or nearby and they are not known all over the country.

Some from Czech:

Varnsdorf - Vanďák
    Mladá Boleslav - Bolka
    Rakovník - Rakáč
    Litoměřice - Liťák
    Strakonice - Straky
    Nepomuk - Nepál
    Jindřichův Hradec - Jindřicháč
    Havlíčkův Brod - Havlbrod
    Valašské Meziříčí - Valmez
    Olomouc - Olmík

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    It is not common in former Yugoslavia. About the only such name I can recall is Begeš for Beograd, but that is pretty rare and may be local to Vojvodina. Naturally, two-term names are shortened to single term (Stara Pazova -> Pazova), but that's it.

3. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Praha - Prágl (from German Pragel, Prágl/Pragel is also a common surname);
    Bratislava - Blava;

In fact, Pragel and Blava are somewhere else and they are not cities.

Olomouc is often called Olmec (do not confuse it with the Olmec civilisation in Mexico ;)).

4. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Saint Petersburg - Питер (it is well known outside Russia: Pitěr, Piter, Pityer, ...);

5. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    I'm not sure about BCS, but in Slovenian, such short forms can come from the first, "adjectival" word of a two-word place name (Kranjska Gora -> Kranjska), the second word (Nova Gorica -> Gorica) or, in some cases, either one (Murska Sobota -> Sobota or Murska).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

7. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Isn't that Šatrovački slang?
    I mean, this is not something special, theoretically it could be implemented to every town name?

8. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

It could, theoretically, but I don't think that it is. Rajvosa is the only widespread example that I know of and it can appear in conversations that don't use any other šatrovački. Perhaps you could view it as a "šatrovizam" that has gained wider circulation.

9. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

You're right, the only other examples I can find (in Wikipedia) are

Munze (for Zemun, Serbia) and
    Kblo (for Blok, meaning a block in New Belgrade)

10. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Ah yes, there is also a third term for Sarajevo - Teheran (Tehran). It is used disparagingly, mostly by some Serbs and Croats.

11. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    For Стара Загора (Stara Zagora) you have "Zara" or "Zagra" which you can see in the graffiti but it's rarely used with anyone except maybe teenagers and football fans in spoken language.

12. osemnais Senior Member

Bulgarian
    There is Maina Town - Майна Таун - for Пловдив, because the inhabitants of this city are famous for the (over)use of the word майна.

13. Azori

Azori Senior Member

In Slovak:

Bratislava - Blava (as already mentioned by bibax)
    Budapešť - Pešť

I can't think of any other right now. Place names consisting of two or more words do get shortened (e.g. Banská Bystrica -> Bystrica). Other than that, using district codes (which are used also on car plates in Slovakia) instead of names of towns is quite common, however, they seem to be used only in informal communication and more in the written form than the spoken one. When used this way, they seem to denote only the town from which the code derives, thus BA stands for Bratislava, KE for Košice and so on. One could then see, for example:

"Zajtra idem do NR." instead of "Zajtra idem do Nitry." = "I'm going to Nitra tomorrow."

14. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    Dubrovnik is called only Grad ("the City") by residents of its region, but that's more of a local tradition than a colloquialism.

15. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    There are more names consisting of two/three names, is there a rule how to shorten those names???

What I've found quickly:

Liptovský Mikuláš > ?? (so you say "do Mikuláša")
    Považská Bystrica > (Bystrica is not possible, right?)
    Dunajská Streda >
    Rimavská Sobota >
    Žiar nad Hronom
    and maybe many other...

16. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
  17. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    Very simplifiedly speaking, people in the west of SR prefer to use adjectives (išiel som cez Považskú) and people in the central part nouns (idem do Bystrice). This is just my youngster days detection, I wasn't being experienced about this shortening anymore later on. I don't even have enough experiences how do the people in the east like to shorten these.

18. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    My home town in Poland (Wrocław) is very often called Wrocek. Besides, I heard several times that people shorten the names of Zielona Góra and Jelenia Góra (e.g. Jadę do Zielonej. Byłem w Jeleniej.). But apart of this I can't remember any other shortened names or slang names for our cities and towns - maybe they exist regionally.

19. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    In my neck of the woods, there is also 'Wawa' for 'Warszawa'.

20. Azori

Azori Senior Member

I don't think there is any rule, surely you can abbreviate Považská Bystrica to Bystrica and Liptovský Mikuláš to Mikuláš if people you talk to know which town/village is talked about - I think this holds true especially if you live there. There's not really much need to use only the full name of the place in question. The name of the town I grew up in, for instance, consists of two words - an adjective and a noun, and what's more, not far from that town there's also a village with almost the same name - only the adjective differs. Despite that, we (me and the other people in the town) commonly used only the noun to refer to our town. No confusion at all in that. To refer to the village we would use its full name. And if somebody asked me where I'm from I'd use the full name of the town.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  21. itreius Senior Member

Assembly
    Just like Dubrovnik is called Grad by residents of its surroundings, Zagreb tends to be called that way by people in Zagreb's surroundings. The abbreviation ZG (ze-ge) is also quite common.

There's not much else left in terms of abbreviating Zagreb. As far as nicknames are concerned, there's Zabreg and Beli Zagreb grad. The latter being quite a mouthful means it's rarely used, you'll mostly find it in songs or literature. There's also Purgerija / Purgeraj (accent on the last syllable), which comes from purger (German Bürger).

Some additional examples of shortened forms, usually they're foreign or simply too irrelevant and/or too general for people outside each of the town's region

Velika Gorica > Gorica
    Sveti Ivan Zelina > Zelina
    Varaždinske Toplice > Varaždinske
    Gornja/Donja Stubica > Stubica

22. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Is Zabreg pronounced Cabreg sometimes? My mother went to high school and viša škola there, and that's how she sometimes jokingly refers to it.

23. Jeki Junior Member

Belgrade
    Serbian
    So interesting, I didn't know Belgrade is called like that. I heard for Bege (from BG), that's all. :)

24. itreius Senior Member

Assembly
    I've heard the Cabreg variant a couple of times. It's usually in the context of either imitating Germans or making fun of the wannabe-Germanness (is that even a word?) of older Zagreb folk. However, I can't see the latter using it themselves.

Oh and for god's sake, I can't believe I actually left out Agram. Agram, the German name for Zagreb, is quite a common nickname.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  25. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    In Czech it is also possible to hear German names of some cities, e.g.

Liberec - Reichenberg
    Ústí - Aussig
    České Budějovice - Budvajz
    Bratislava - Prešpurk

26. ilocas2

ilocas2 Senior Member

There's town in Moravia Zábřeh and I heard people from that region to shorten it to Zábr

The most extreme case are for example Lib for Liberec or Lovo for Lovosice but this is quite tasteless already, in my opinion.