All Slavic languages: compadre/comadre vs. padrino/madrina (SP/PT/CT)

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, so far I got the feeling Slovak is the only Slavic language which makes difference between those two words which exist only in Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan among Romance languages. I am not sure about Souther Slavic languages.

compadre or comadre is not the same as padrino/madrina !!!!

Slovak >
    padrino, madrina = krstný otec, krstná matka > Eng.: godfather, godmother (that's easy)
    compadre, comadre = kmotor, kmotra (kmotrovci) > no word in most languages

Thanks.

Slovak native-speakers will sure explain the difference. (If you want)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak

3. Selyd Senior Member

ucraniano
    Ukrainian Українська:
    padrino
    = хрещений батько, або хрещений, або рідко нанашко
    madrina = хрещена мати, або хрещена
    compadre, comadre = кум, кума (кум + кума = куми)

4. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Fantastic Ukrainian answer, according to the dictionary kum, kuma exists in Slovak, too...I wonder what Slovaks think about it, if they know the words...

5. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Polish:
    padrino -- ojciec chrzestny, chrzestny (colloquial)
    madrina -- matka chrzestna, chrzestna (colloquial)
    comadre -- kuma (pl. kumy)
    compadre -- kum (pl. kumowie; col. kumy)

Both 'kuma' and 'kum' are rare in Modern Polish.

Something extra that looks interesting:
    EDIT: there are words 'kumoszka' and 'kumoter' (or more familiar to me 'kumotr') in Polish too, but their meaning is a bit different from the one of 'kuma' and 'kum' respectively (the one discussed in this thread, I mean).

EDIT2:
    French, apart from the standard 'parrain' and 'marraine', also has its equivalents of Spanish 'compadre' and 'comadre':
    compère
    commère
    Compared to the Polish 'kum' and 'kuma' respectively, it seems that they are also rather obsolete and have another meaning (a friend).

I'd risk a guess that Slavic and Romance languages have words to express the two types of godparentage relationship, whereas it does not seem to be the case in Germanic languages (feel free to correct me if the need be :cool:).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    I have never heard of "kum" and neither of "kuma," because it may be only known to someone who speaks "šarišštinou / šarišským nárečím."

7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Yes, I've just found the Slovak word lately and since Czechs do not have it I have made a very bad conclusion.... :) But now the issue looks different.
    But just like kum-kum are RARE in Polish I think the same goes for French, Italian. I wonder how many Poles know the word kum-kuma.
    While, If I am not mistaken the Slovak kmotor, kmotra might be common. Native speakers make no comments. :) So it is true.
    And I think the reason of the lack in German languages might be social, they just do not baptise their children any longer, but I bet, you do in Poland, so how come it is a rather rare expression??????

8. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I think most Poles know the words kum / kuma but as the form of addressing old people in rural areas (Co powiecie, kumie / kumo?) and it has nothing in common with the relations connected with baptising children. And the other meaning of the words can be different in different regions of Poland - e.g. my grandfather used these words when talking about his children's in-laws, not godparents.

9. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I think that this wouldn't prevent Germanic languages from having such words. You could still find them in dictionaries. For example, the French dictionary Le Grand Robert, says that 'conpère' was first used in the twelfth century. As to the Polish words, I suppose that they might be more common in rural areas.

EDIT: I've just seen Marco's post.

10. Azori

Azori Senior Member

As for how common the words "kmotor", "kmotra" are, I personally don't use them nor do I know anybody who does. But they do appear in old Slovak literature and films, not sure how common they are now. "Kum" and "kuma" don't seem to be native Slovak words. By the way, Czech has the words "kmotr" and "kmotra", too. Also "kmotřenec" (godson) and "kmotřenka" (goddaughter).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  11. mmbata

mmbata Junior Member

Novi Sad (Vojvodina)
    Serbian & Croatian
    Hola,

En Serbio y Croata:
    compadre > kum
    comadre > kuma
    padrino > krsni kum
    madrina > krsna kuma
    ahijado/ahijada > kumče

Saludos

12. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    I posted this yesterday, but for some reason it disappeared.

The terms кум and кума are quite widely used in the Ukrainian communities abroad. I've heard them less often in Ukraine itself, but would not say that they are uncommon. There is even a verb form - куматися - but I've almost never heard it used.

Interestingly, in certain parts of Ukraine and certainly outside, кумання encompasses a very wide range of relationships. For example, if your godson and my godson are brothers, then you and I are куми. Similarly, if your godfather and my godfather are brothers, then you and I are also куми. In the past there was a very strong societal prohibition on marrying a кум regardless of the degree of relationship and even though there might not be any legal or church prohibition. In practice, since you were likely to be куми with pretty much everyone in your own village, you had to look to another village for a mate. There is an interesting little book called Sex and Society in the World of the Orthodox Slavs 900-1700 by an American scholar named Eve Levin that goes into detail about this.