All Slavic languages: goodbye - short form

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, there is an interesting phenomenon in Czech and Slovak. Since saying goodbye is very similar in all Slavic languages I'd like to know if you use a short form of that greeting just like Czechs and Slovaks use it in spoken language.

Czech: Na shledanou! >>> often they shorten it: Nashle!
    Slovaks: Do videnia! >>> Dovi!

Do you say it as well? It's possible. Thanks.

2. Azori

Azori Senior Member

There's also dopo which is short for do počutia, used in phone conversations and such. Likewise: Dobrý deň / večer / podvečer! >>> Dobrý!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. martiko2d New Member

Brno
    slovak
    It is, however, preferable to write it as one word: ​dovidenia, dopočutia.

4. Azori

Azori Senior Member

Do videnia and do počutia are acceptable spellings.

5. martiko2d New Member

Brno
    slovak
    Of course they are, it is just more common to see them written altogether.

6. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    BCS: doviđenja > 'đenja.

That is chiefly in spoken language; it would be written only to imitate an informal conversation.

7. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    This reminds me of SK ďakujem > 'kujem.

8. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    I can't think of a commonly used short form of nasv​idenje in Slovenian. Adijo, a borrowing from Italian, is used instead in informal contexts. Zbogom is more formal and somewhat old-fashioned (but not archaic).

9. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Our (Polish) standard expression Do widzenia! doesn't have any shortened forms (I once heard a modification Do widziska!). In the 1960s Ciao! was quite popular. Nowadays young people shorten the expression Na razie! (So long, See ya) as Nara!

10. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    In Ukraine, you'll most commonly hear пока (pronounced пака), which is a Russianism and, from what I understand, comes from the Russian "until we meet again (пока еще встетимся)" or "until we see each other again (пока еще увидимся)." In western Ukraine and in the Ukrainian communities abroad, you'll hear папа which is short for до побачення. I've also heard young kids in Kyiv use допо as a short form. You'll also commonly hear здоров or бувай throughout Ukraine.

11. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    "Do widzenia" doesn't have one indeed, as far as I know, but "do zobaczenia" is shortened to "dozo".

12. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    Also "Maj(te) sa pekne" >>> "Maj(te) sa." And in Bratislava, due to the influence of Hungarian, there`s also used "Servus! (from Szervusz!)" or "Sia! (from Szia!)", but this goes not only for one person, but also for two or more persons (not like Szervusztok! or Sziasztok!).

13. itreius Senior Member

Assembly
    Apart from the already mentioned use of đenja, here in Croatia bok/bog is in wide use. It means both hi and bye
    However, I'm not sure whether people still associate it with its original form (the etymology of it isn't clear either, zbogom, bog daj, or perhaps something else), it's more of a greeting in its own right.

Servus (and serbus) was used in Zagreb and can sometimes be heard among older (and by that I mean much much older) folk. These days it's more a reference to the greeting rather than a greeting. As far as I can tell, we didn't have an abbreviated form of it such as szia or sia.

14. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    "Serwus" used to be an informal greeting in Polish too. Those of us who have read some 50s young adult books know the word, but others might not.