All Slavic languages: Jagoda, jahoda, strawberry, blueberry

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Jagoda, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Jagoda

Jagoda Senior Member

Canada
    Bilingual polski-English
    Jagoda = Blueberry

;)

2. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Hahahha.... You see? This is what I meant... Same word two different meanings...

Jagoda
    In Serbian =Strawberry
    In Polish = Blueberry

It is much more possible to make confusion with two similar languages than with two different ones...

3. Suane

Suane Senior Member

Slovakia
    Slovakia
    Really? Now I am bit confused because in my computer dictionary it is said

- strawberry (jahoda)- truskawka, jagoda, poziomka leśna

- strawberry (adjective, jahodový)-truskawkowi, poziomkowy

- jahôdka, jahůdka (little strawberry? or maybe sort of apple?)-jagódka

- blueberry (čučoriedka) - czarna jagoda (čierna jahoda?), czernica, (černica?), borówka (borůvka?), jagoda

So, I guess that basically truskawka=strawberry, jagoda=blueberry, but what does it mean jagódka, and why there is also jagoda for strawberry?

Mad srawberry=:mad: :D

4. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

"Borówka" reminds me a lot of "borovnica" which is blueberry in Serbian...

5. Jagoda

Jagoda Senior Member

Canada
    Bilingual polski-English
    Jagódka is diminutive for jagoda, which means "blueberry".
    As well, fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries, currents, etc. are classified as "berries" in botanical termes. "Berries" in Polish is "jagody". That is why you have jagoda under the word strawberry - they have first given you the direct translation into Polish (truskawka) and then the group to which it belongs, the group of berries (jagoda).

6. Suane

Suane Senior Member

Slovakia
    Slovakia
    Thank you! Now I understand. I really don't know, how that can happen, that the same word in one slavic language means something else in another one. I wish I could know how did the process of naming things work in the past.

And it's interesting:
    Strawberry is jahoda in Slovak, in Czech, something similar in Serbian, but it is said a bit different way in Polish. Maybe we can give this question to the topic Similar words and find out how it is said in another slavic languages.

7. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    I thought you were strawberry too. ;)

In Slovenian it's the same as in Serbian: jagoda - strawberry, borovnica - blueberry

8. cyanista

cyanista законодательница мод

NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    In Russian ягода /jagoda/ is a berry - as a generic term. The plural is ягоды /jagody/. It's similar to the Polish word with the same meaning but the stress is on the first syllable, whereas in Polish it's surely on the second.

And naturally, I was sure I understood the meaning of the nickname and it would never occur to me that it could mean strawberry or blueberry!:)

My question to Polish native speakers: doesn't it lead to confusion when one and the same word stands for blueberry and any berry at all?
    [SIZE=-1]
    By the way, in my mind this word is associated not only with berries. Genrikh Jagoda (Yagoda) was Stalin's secret police chief during the great purges of 1936-38. Sorry, that wasn't a particularly pleasant association.:eek:[/SIZE]

9. Marijka

Marijka Junior Member

Lublin/Eastern Poland
    Polish/Poland
    No, not at all. Usually we use jagoda for blueberry, and owoce jagodowe (owoce=fruits) for berries in general.
    Jagoda is also a female name :)

And, as I wrote owoce, one more thing comes to my mind. In polish owoce means fruits, but овочі (ukrainian) = овощи (russian) = vegetables, and it souds very similar to owoce...it's quite confusing:)

10. Jagoda

Jagoda Senior Member

Canada
    Bilingual polski-English
    As well, we have the female name "Malina", which also means raspberry in Polish. :)
    There's also "Róza" which in English is Rose.

11. Krossaffschcheg New Member

Russia/Russian
    Aga ...and "Jagoda" also is lastname of Stalin's Gestapo commander :)

12. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    At least something works! I don't know anyone called Jahoda (strawberry) but there certainly are people called Borůvka (blueberry). :D

Jana

13. Juri Senior Member

Koper, near Trieste
    italian/Slovenia
    A!A! You remind to me that a chief of Stalin's police has been Jagoda.
    I didn't find him in Google, but: Flory Jagoda, artist USA, Jagoda Strukelj, a dancer,Jagoda Potokar a journalist and so on.
    In accessgenealogy.com there are 51 Jagoda.
    We never know!

14. cyanista

NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    The transliteration "Jagoda" is typical for German sources, while the english-speaking ones prefer "Yagoda". And in Slavic languages? Surely the former?

15. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Yes, we write what we hear. :)

Jana

16. cyanista

NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Don't "Jagoda" and "Yagoda" sound the same?

(Im Deutschen schon.)

17. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Well, if you know that you should apply the English pronunciation for the latter, yes.

Slavic people ignorant of English would undoubtedly read Yagoda like ыагода. All in all, we have no reason not to use our phonetic transcription. Diphthongs and jers aside, a one-to-one correspondence between Russian and other Slavic languages can be achieved. Why would we write Yeltsin/Brezhnev/Ilyich when Jelcin/Brežněv/Iljič do the job much better?

Jana

18. Marijka

Marijka Junior Member

Lublin/Eastern Poland
    Polish/Poland
    If I saw "Yeltsin", no doubt, I wouldn't know who is being talked about. Aren't there any international transcription rules?? I found that quite difficult and confusing, when I was writing my essay. I had serious problem with bibliography, I wrote it in cyrillic at last, but it was really tricky. Same problem, when you're searching library index.

19. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    A good way to deal with this is to find Jelcin in Wikipedia in Polish (where you are sure about the transcription) and then to click on whichever language version you wish. :)

But this is quite off-topic. Please open a new thread if you have any comments or questions about transcription.

Jana

20. aries44 Junior Member

English
    Just found this now.

In yiddish we have Jagdas which is suppose to be strawberry in Polish.
    We have Malina which is suppose to be boysenberry in Russian.

Now how do you get to Jagdas from Jagoda

21. beclija Senior Member

vienna
    Boarisch, Österreich (Austria)
    I don't really know, but the -s makes it look a bit like it came from Lithuanian - anyone knows what strawberry is in Lithuanian?

22. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    It won't help, I am afraid - žemuogė. :)

Jana

23. Maja

Maja Senior Member

Binghamton, NY
    Serbian, Serbia
    In Serbian we have several fruit-names:
    Jagoda (strawberry), Višnja (sour cherry), Dunja (quince) and Nerandža (a variation of Narandža/Pomorandža (orange) - but rare and old-fashioned; I happen to know 2 persons with such a name but there are many who never heard of it).

Maybe there are more, but these are all I can think of now...