All Slavic languages: ladyfingers

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, what do you call this, i.e. ladyfingers?
    And do you know the word with the adjective "children"?
    Czechs: dětské piškoty
    Slovenians (?): bebi piškoti
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Anicetus Senior Member

In BCS it's piškote (piškota in singular, feminine) or piškoti (piškot in singular, masculine). I'd use the latter variant, but I think it could be a regionalism, so the former one is more common in the whole area.
  3. vianie Senior Member

Hi, these are called piškoty (sg. ten piškot) in Czech and piškóty (sg. tá piškóta) in Slovak.
  4. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    That's correct, although the term bebi for "baby" is fairly rare outside the context. (The standard Slovenian word for "baby" is dojenček.) I'm not sure what the etymology of bebi piškoti is; it may have started out as a brand name that later became generic.

In Slovenian, piškot can refer to any type of cookie (BrE: biscuit).
  5. Azori

Azori Senior Member

In Slovak:

detské piškóty (sing. - detská piškóta)
  6. vianie Senior Member

This may not be related, but there's a Czech bakery producing miscellaneous kinds of biscuits under the name of BeBe.

As far as I can remember, one kind of them had been spelled just BB before.
  7. Arath Senior Member

Bulgarian: бишкота /biʃˈkɔt̪ə/ (biško​ta) feminine.
  8. vianie Senior Member

And which syllable is stressed in BCS, Slovenian and Macedonian, please?
  9. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)

bebi piškot (dual: piškota; plural: piškoti)
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

And is the word бебешка бишкота (?) used commonly?
  11. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    In BCS, we call them generally just "piškote". The collocation "bebi piškote" to me sounds familiar, but more like an old memory than an actual product name. Probably it was written on some packagings when I was a child, but not anymore.
  12. marco_2 Senior Member

In Polish we always called them just biszkopty, (in singular biszkopt means sponge cake), today I found in the Net biszkopty podłużne and I think it is a good idea to specify the meaning.
  13. lordwings Member

In Bulgarian "бишкота" (biškota - singular) and "бишкоти" (biškoti - plural) are rather used as is (without бебешка ("bebeška" - singular), "бебешки" (bebeški - plural)), however this word might be used in addition and it won't be incorrect as this kind of biscuits are often given to babies, because of their softness.
    the stress of the syllables is :

(bebeška) biškota - singular
    (bebeški) biškoti - plural
  14. Vanja Senior Member

Piškota sing. Piškote pl.

Why baby's? I still eat them :D There's Piškota torta....yam-yam! I think people buy piškota-s just to make the Piškota cake and I haven't seen them on Baby Menu nowadays....
  15. lordwings Member

Well, baby's biscuit would be more correct and might still be used in Bulgarian or:

bebeška (baby's) babeška (grand mother's) biskvita (biscuit)

thus only because both of them - the old women/men and babies have no teeth.
  16. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    No, it's stressed piškóta. I've never heard it stressed on the first syllable.
  17. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Interesting. Apparently there are differences here. HJP has piškóta, while my Bosnian dictionary lists piškòta, which is how I pronounce it too (i.e. same accent as in teškoća).

Duya, do you also have long rising accent there?
  18. Anicetus Senior Member

I'd also pronounce it as piškòta, or if the masculine variant is used, pìškot in nominative and accusative singular with the accent shifted to the second syllable in all the other forms.
  19. Gnoj Senior Member

singular: (бебешка) бисквита | (bebeška) biskvita
    plural: (бебешки) бисквити | (bebeški) biskviti

We also have бишкота/бишкоти, but it is rarely used these days
  20. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Personally, I'd prefer piškòta, but long rising also sounds OK to me. I did a sanity check on HJP before posting the previous message, and it said long, so I went for it.
  21. lordwings Member

Чувал съм по - възрастни хора в магазина да ги наричат бебешки бисквити.
  22. ilocas2 Senior Member

Czech: singular - piškot (masculine), piškota (feminine)

also diminutives are widely used - f. e. piškotek (masculine), piškotka (feminine) or piškoteček (masculine), piškotečka (feminine)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  23. Barubek Member

Křinec, Czech Republic
    Czech - Czech Republic
    It's necessary to stress that the traditional Czech and Slovak piškoty/piškóty look different than Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian/Montenegrin piškoti/piškote. The Czech and Slovak ones have a round shape whilst the latter have an elongated shape (like English ladyfingers). The Czech and Slovak ones are also smaller and tougher. But of course some long ladyfingers can be found in shops in the Czech Republic and Slovakia too.

Recent news are that the production of the most famous Czech brand of ladyfingers moved to Poland some time ago and many people are upset with it because these new ladyfingers are not tasty for them and they are also more expensive.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  24. Lubella

Lubella Member

ladyfingers савоярди In Ukraine, we do not do this cookies, they are savoiardi imported from Italy
    бісквіт means sponge cake (italian pan di spagna or torta margherita), not biscuits
    печиво means biscuits
    дитяче печиво children's biscuits