All Slavic languages: Longest words

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by trosheniorasi, Mar 10, 2012.

1. trosheniorasi

trosheniorasi Member

Unlike German and Dutch, Slavic languages don't really stick words together so they do not have very long words. Which is the longest one in your language?

In Bulgarian it is; "непротивоконституционствувателствувайте" (39 letters) , meaning "don't do things that go against the constitution".

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    The "official" record in BCS (once was part of the Guiness book) holds prijestolonasljednikovica (24 letters) "wife of throne descendant". Ekavian version is 3 letters shorter, prestolonaslednikovica, One can derive a possessive out of it, -čin, with plural -čini, (26 letters) though it won't be recorded by dictionaries. Croatian wiki also presents its diminutive, but that sounds really stretching (even the original is somewhat stretching).

Among the longest in actual use is otorinolaringolog (17 letters). With the recent trend of deriving feminine terms for professions, a female doctor would be otorinolaringološkinja (21 letters).

P.S. In case you wonder, lj and nj are digraphs (single letters), with Cyrillic equivalents љ and њ, so I didn't get the count wrong.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    HERE's an article about the longest words in Slovenian.

A summary:

1.) The longest word in Slovar slovenskega knjižnega jezika is dialektičnomaterialističen ("dialectical materialistic"), with 26 letters.

2.) Among the longest Slovenian words is one of one of particular relevance to this forum: starocerkvenoslovanščina ("Old Church Slavonic").

3.) Slovenian numerals are open-ended compound words, so they can get very long. The article cites tisočdevetstodevetinsedemdesetletnica rojstva ("the 1979th anniversary of birth"), with 37 letters in a row.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    There is one word they used to say was the longest in Polish: Konstantynopolitanczykowianeczka. A small girl from Constantinopole.
  5. POLSKAdoBOJU Senior Member

Hamilton, Canada
    Canadian English, Polish
    Liliana, you're making stuff up again. A little girl from Constantinople is the much shorter konstantynopolitaneczka. Secondly names of inhabitants of towns and city are written with a small letter in Polish. The word you provided is a made-up word, that was created as a joke.
  6. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    It is a real word, if somebody wanted to refer to a little girl from Constantinopole, but not too many people do these days, I guess.
  7. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Shouldn't it be 37?

I've never read anything about the longest Macedonian words, but many of these are easily calqued: престолонаследниковица (22), дијалектичкоматеријалистичен (28) and so forth.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. Moro12 Senior Member

It is very difficult to provide a precise answer which word is the longest.
    1. Some chemical terms as names of compound organic substances can be extremely long, e.g. in Russian: метоксихлордиэтиламинометилбутиламиноакридин :)
    2. Some technical terms can be composed of multiple roots, so we get: электрофотополупроводниковый "electro-photo-semiconductor" (adjective).
    3. Some words derived from numbers can be extremely long, e.g. in Russian: пятисотшестидесятидевятилетие "569-year anniversary".
    4. Russian allows an unlimited sequence like прабабушка "grand-grandmother", прапрабабушка "grand-grand-grandmother", прапрапрабабушка etc.

Some examples of long "real" Russian words:
    человеконенавистничество "misanthropy";
    интернационализироваться "to become international";
    частнопредпринимательский "private-business" (adjective).
  9. bibax Senior Member

I should exclude such terms like otorhinolaryngoložka or riboflavinadenosindifosfát.

The Czech longest word (probably):

"(s) nejneobhospodařovávatelnějšími" - 30 characters = (with) the most non-cultivable;

hospodařiti, obhospodařovati = to farm, to cultivate, to manage, to administer;
    (Obhospodařuje 200 akrů. – He farms 200 acres.)
    obhospodařovávati = a frequentative/iterative/repetitive form of the previous verb;
    obhospodařovávatelný = cultivable; capable of undergoing cultivation; a thing that can be repeatedly cultivated;
    neobhospodařovávatelný = negation of the previous adjective;
    nejneobhospodařovávatelnější = superlative of the previous adjective;
    nejneobhospodařovávatelnějšími = + ending of the plur. instr. case;

However we should probably use "obhospodařovatelný" instead of "obhospodařovávatelný":

"nejneobhospodařovatelnějšími" - only 28 characters;

The most natural expression of the same meaning would be: "(s) nejhůře obhospodařovatelnými (only 20 characters)" = (with) the worst cultivable;
  10. POLSKAdoBOJU Senior Member

Hamilton, Canada
    Canadian English, Polish
    Go to the Polish forum and see if anyone would support your claim that what you wrote is an actual word.

The city is Konstantynopol and the suffix for resident is -(it)anin, which gives you konstantynopolitanin. Adding the suffix for little girl -eczka gives you konstantynopolitaneczka.

Adding -itańczykowianeczka to a town name to form the name of the young female inhabitant makes no sense and there is no basis for it in the Polish language
  11. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Made-up or not, it is a word. I did not make it up.
  12. POLSKAdoBOJU Senior Member

Hamilton, Canada
    Canadian English, Polish
    This makes no sense. If it's made-up, then it is NOT a real word. I suppose you'll claim that *super-cala-fragilistic-expi-ala-dotious is also a real word just because Mary Poppins sings it...
  13. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Yes, I think konstantynopolitańczykowianeczka is a word, because it can be uttered in isolation and it contains meaning.
  14. osemnais Senior Member

Where have you seen this word?
  15. POLSKAdoBOJU Senior Member

Hamilton, Canada
    Canadian English, Polish
    Onopatopoeic sounds also contain meaning, but they're not words.
  16. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    If something can be uttered and has meaning it is a word.
  17. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    MOD NOTE: Further discussion of the word konstantynopolitańczykowianeczka should take place in the Polish forum.
  18. Arath Senior Member

Aren't непротивоконституционствувателствуващият/щата/щото/щите/лият/лата/лото/лите/нето longer by one letter?

In all fairness, непротивоконституционствувателствувайте is also kind of a made up word. I think it was created for the sole purpose of being the longest word in Bulgarian. The same idea could be expressed with just "непротивоконституционствайте". The additional suffixes -ствува(x2) and -тел are unnecessary and silly. It's like the difference between the English transormer and transformerizerator. If we apply the same logic we could also get:

Американизационер (or Американизациятор)
    Американизационеризациятор (or Американизационеризационер)

and so on.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  19. trosheniorasi

trosheniorasi Member

Maybe. I kept getting a different count every time, so I looked it up, according to Wikipedia it is 39.
  20. trosheniorasi

trosheniorasi Member

21. Mona 999

Mona 999 New Member

The Internet says that the longest word in Ukrainian is "дихлордифенілтрихлорметилметан", it consists of 30 letters and means a kind of pesticides. :)
  22. iezik Senior Member

Is there any agreed common definition of a word in (Slavic) languages? My Slovene grammar claims existence of multipart words like "smejati se" or "delal sem" what I would usually count as two words. My English dictionary lists hyphenated strings like "black-eyed" as entry equivalent to words without hyphens (blackface, blackmail, blacksmith...) what I would also prefer to count as two words.
  23. I think for Slovak (apart from the numerals which by the norm are written together and thus can be of practically indefinite length) it will be the same word as in Czech, but different case (genitive) which due to a diphthong in Slovak brings us one letter more - so 31 letters :)

Translation: 'of the one which is the least repetitively cultivable'
  24. Azori Senior Member

Here is an article about the longest word in Slovak (pdf, p. 252) - it says it's not decided what the longest word is. However, it mentions the following words:

najneobhospodarovateľnejší (26 letters) -with other possible forms in different cases - najneobhospodarovateľnejšími (28 letters), najneobhospodarovateľnejšiemu (29 letters)

najnezrevolucionalizovateľnejšiemu (34 letters)

sedemstodeväťdesiatsedemtisícsedemstodeväťdesiatsedem (53 letters)
  25. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    This is what I heard too, though, in a slghtly different form: konstantynopolitańczykowianeczka (32 letters). I think I've also heard konstantynopolitańczykiewiczówna (32 letters). They are possible, but I don't think they are used in Polish.

However, much longer words are possible in Polish. These are adjectives composed of many elements, for instance, numerals, and they can be absurdly long:
    ponadtysiącdziewięćsetdziewięćdziesięciodziewięcioipółkilometrowy (65 letters)
    You can imagine how long they can be if you convert, for example, the distance between some places in the Universe expressed in light years into kilometres/metres...:eek:

I think that a 'normal' Polish word which is the longest can be 'pięćdziesięciogroszówka' (23 letters).
  26. Ёж! Senior Member

The one I've heard of: хороводоводоведоводовед, meaning a person who studies people who manage people who study people who "lead round dances" by singing. The entire thing is made up, starting from the so strange word "хороводовод" ("round dance leader") which is coined from the real word "хоровод" ("round dance") that is in itself a compound that translates as "choir-lead". One can continue the sequence of "вед"ов (one who studies something or somebody) and "вод"ов (one who leads or manages somebody) ad infinitum. :)

Provided that you can insert there "вод"ы and "вед"ы in any order, the set of 'infinite' Russian words is actually 'uncountable'. :)
    Last edited: May 27, 2013