All Slavic languages: Roma loanwords

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, do you know about any Gypsy loanwords in your language? Thanks.
  2. DarkChild Senior Member

I don't know of any but there probably are. I know vice versa there are manty loanwords.
  3. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    I'm pretty sure гадже (gadzhe), informal for boyfriend/girlfriend, is Roma in origin.
  4. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

There is lova (colloquial for "money").
  5. Azori Senior Member

gadžo = an ill-bred, uncouth, rude person

love = money

dilino = fool, dunce, blockhead

čaja = girl (the diminutive čajočka is fairly common, too)

chalovať = to eat

They're all rather colloquial / slang.
  6. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Dear foreros,

along with the Rom loanwords, could you indicate the use of Rom language in your own country?
    I'm writing from Spain: in everyday's Spanish language we use maybe 10-20 Rom loanwords (all of them related to the subculture of theft, prison, small business, honour and folklore), but "our" Roms speak in Spanish, with more Rom words, but the structure of sentences, conjugation, declensions are Spanish.

Thanks chavalé!
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

I was watching a documentary/reality show about a family of romani in America (specifically New York) and they use the word gadze even when they speak English to refer to (lit.) "every person who isn't romani".
  8. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    In Spain they use "gachó" in the same sense.
  9. bibax Senior Member

Probably the commonest Romani word in Czech is čokl (pejorative for dog).

Also čorka (theft) is common; love (money) is known, too. However they are rather argot words.
  10. Christo Tamarin

Christo Tamarin Senior Member

I think gadzho(Masc.) and gadzhe(Fem.) are both used for "every person who isn't romani". This word (in Feminine) has been loaned into Bulgarian after a semantic shift. Anyway, this is a slang word in Bulgarian. No local dialects in the 19-th century had that word.

I could give another example. There is a word "хайде", a loanword from Turkish "haydi" (let's go, come on). The modern Bulgarian slang changed that word to "харе" (hare) which could be considered a Gipsy loanword.
  11. marco_2 Senior Member

According to our philologists, there aren't any Gypsy loanwords in Polish. We have quite a popular surname Wajda, and I thought for a moment that it is a Romani loanword (wajda means "chief" in their language, at least in Poland) but it occured that it is a Hungarian word which then is a Slavic loanword (wojewoda).
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I had to look it up because except for лавэ /lavé/ for "money", I did not know these other words came from Romani:
    стырить /stýrit’/ - to steal
    хавать /khávat’/ - to eat
    лабать /labát’/ - to play a musical instrument (mostly for money, like in a restaurant, lounge)
    All these are slang, mostly outdated.

EDIT: just saw that the BE word chav may be also from Romani for "young man"
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  13. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

:eek: Did I write loanword? I didn't mean that exactly. :eek: I meant what some did understand correctly, just words, Gypsy words mostly used in informal speech and people somehow know its a Gypsy word, like the Serbian lova or gadjo.....