All Slavic languages: Standard language comprehension [audio/video]

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Jana337, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

The purpose of this experimental thread is to make it possible for you to test your comprehension skills and to compare the sounds of various Slavic languages. The idea is that someone will post a link to an audio/video clip in a Slavic language and other members will try to understand it. A transcription will appear at some later point.

WR rules (click here to read the full version) say:

For this thread - and only for this thread in the Other Slavic Languages forum only - the moderators decided to make an exception: Audio/video links (including Youtube links) complying with our guidelines (see below) can be posted without being pre-approved by moderators. However, moderators may remove links ex post anytime at their own discretion.

1. The clips should be easily accesible to everyone. Choose international politics or other topics that do not require deep knowledge of your country's history, culture or of other very specialized issues etc. News clips with trained voices are ideal.
    2. Post Youtube links or links to broadcasters (radio, TV). Other decent Youtube-like servers are permissible, too, but moderators will remove links to servers with adult ads, annoying pop-up windows and suspicious websites of all kinds. If you have doubts, you can contact one of the moderators of the OSL forum privately.
    3. Post clips of reasonable length - 2 or 3 minutes.
    4. No songs, just clips with fluent speech.
    5. It is clearly impossible to have a reasonable and tractable discussion with several clips for each Slavic language. If another forero has already posted a link for your language, please do not post another unless it has a special value added for the discussion. If moderators consider a language sufficiently well represented, they may remove otherwise acceptable new links.
    6. Since this is probably going to be a long thread, please make sure that you know how to use the multiquote feature.
    7. This thread is meant for standard versions of Slavic languages. Depending on the success of this thread, moderators may decide to open threads for dialects.

I hope it will be a fruitful and rewarding thread.

Edit: Clarification

The general forum rules say that you must not publish Youtube links (sorry for confusion - I quoted it because even some very senior members do not know it :D). Afterwards, I wrote that in this thread, Youtube links will be allowed (even without moderator approval) as long as they respect the aforementioned guidelines.

Please do not post Youtube or other audio/video links in other threads as they will be removed without prior notice.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Great thread! Thank you for starting it.

Slovenian Clip #1

Here's a brief excerpt of TV news coverage from 1999 of US President Bill Clinton's visit to Slovenia:

Slovenian Clip #2

Here's another TV news clip in Slovenian, this time from the Yugoslav era (1977):

Both feature standard Slovenian, but the speech in the second (older) one is more formal and trained.
  3. Kanes Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  4. Mišo Senior Member

Preßburg aka Pozsony
    Austrian German & Hungarian
  5. trance0 Senior Member

Hm, after having listened to the Slovak youtube links, I have altered my opinion about understanding Slavic languages. I must say I understand much more spoken Slovak than spoken Bulgarian. It all depends on the topic, but generally I understand about 30-40% of spoken Slovak, if spoken slowly even more than 50%, whereas I understand no more than 10% of Bulgarian if spoken fast.
  6. .Jordi. Senior Member

I'm suprised that the pronunciation of Slovenian is so hard, if I didn't know that it is Slovenian, in some parts I could even think that it's Portuguese or Romanian. And when talking about comprehension, yes, I understand the main meaning of these clips, but some parts are harder and unclear, meanwhile some of them are quite easy.

First clip: I'm able to understand some words, even some phrases (especially on the beggining, I think that their about a Golden Globe reward given to the serial Prison Break), but that's all.

These clips are the most comprensible for me, I understand about 80—90% of them, I don't if it's because weather forecasts are easy to understand in all of the languages or because Slovak and Polish are so similiar, the second clip was even easier because of the text :D.

And clips in Polish:
    weather forecast:
    and some reportage about euroorphans:
  7. Kanes Senior Member

Hmm, interesting, in the Slovenian clips I understand without problem what they are talking about, but would say generaly 70%. In Slovak, I get only some words here and there and some particles so about 10-15%. The Polish one... 5% maybe.
  8. Azori Senior Member

9. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    From the point of view of a learner (quite good passive competence in Slovenian but not very good active competence; also beginner level competence in BCS): I can understand quite some bits of written language but those links showed me that auditive comprehension is something completely different.

Of those posted so far I am most comfortable with Slovak - but even of the Slovak videos I don't understand much, sometimes I understand a whole sentence, but mostly only some words.
    The weather report is quite difficult for me while the news clip posted by lior neith is easier. I hope to find the time next week to try and make sense of that news report; if I do I'll post it here. :)

Bulgarian comes next, of which I understand some words and, occasionally, phrases.
    But with the Polish weather report I am almost completely lost.

Slovenian is a different matter of course - those Slovene videos are comprehensible to me, I only have to concentrate for the faster spoken parts, and I don't understand some words (a matter of my limited vocabulary :)): but I get the meaning, and I should be able to transliterate the whole text without making too many errors.
  10. texpert Senior Member

I could translate it word for word without a single peek at the dictionary. I don't know if it's becuase these news are always the same (there's hardly any room for alternations) or due to my fair exposure to BCS. However, at the time of the stand-up my comprehension markedly fell and had to rely more on the context.

This proved to be a tougher nut to crack.
    1. Members of some organisation (FSJ) delivered present (?) to Tito.
    2. The second round of talks between Israeli and Egyptian delegation. Details unknown, but the Declaration of Peace (?) was being prepared.
    3. According to Radio Cambodia, fights near the Cambodian-Vietnamese border (?) continued. Getting wild..
    4. Hijacking attempt on the US plane? Heading for Cuba?? Not enough fuel??? Blimey..
    5. National feast commemorating war, occasion used for opening new manufacturing capacities. Merited comrades awarded. Hooray..

The first clip was clearly a coincidence. These were mental somersaults. Similar to my first hearing of BCS before obtaining the decoder grid.

There's a news - TV Nova will broadcast the popular TV series (Obyatstvo ot zatvore in BG? - that's what I hear) - awarded by the Golden Globus - and to mark the occassion the main character Robert Napper is coming..
    (and so on - I got 80% of it, though it dropped to much lower levels with the progression of clips - but my comprehension of those is usually below 50% even in English and Czech).

I got 95% of the news.
    I was confused only by the word /kal:/ (right at the beginning),
    amused by the word /chmur:/ (understood)
    and somewhat confused by the /burze kwoltovne:/ expression (does it mean speedy or urgent storms?)

Oscillating between 90% comprehension (narrator's voice) and 30-50% (direct interviews).
    Confused by /cudownie:/ and /samodzelnosc:/

* /../ = this is how I hear it

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  11. TriglavNationalPark

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Note: You may want to skip this post if you haven't yet watched the second Slovenian clip and would like to make your own guesses.

Very close; they gave Tito a gold medal for his "achievements". The organization was identified in the report as Počitniška zveza Jugoslavije (The Vacation Union of Yugoslavia). Its BCS name was Ferijalni savez Jugoslavije, hence the initials FSJ; it apparently organized vactions for students, ran youth hostels and camps, etc.

Very close again, but it the declaration was described as "deklaracija o namerah" (= Declaration of Intent), which was to serve as a basis for a peaceful and just solution later on.

You got it!

The plane was hijacked and the hijacker did indeed want to comandeer it to Cuba, but he was caught when the plane made a refueling stop in Atlanta and he decided to release the women and the children.

Yep. You got both the meaning and the tone right. ;)

Perhaps it was a coincidence, but I think other factors may have played a role as well. First of all, the story of Clinton visiting Slovenia was much more straightforward than most of the news items in the second clip. But another factor was probably the different style of TV news writing in the two clips. In 1999, TV news stories, especially on the commercial POP TV, were written more with the average viewer in mind; television news had become more populist in the 1990s. In 1977, however, the style was still considerably more formal, the writing resembled wire reports and official communiques, and a more demanding vocabulary was generally used.
  12. Diaspora Senior Member

Serbocroatian, English
    The first Slovenian video is reasonably comprehensible (65%), the second one somewhat less, I missed a lot of details. I was surprised to understand this much.

Bulgarian 65%: Written material is much easier, I understood that he was talking about the TV show, about escape and how the audience relates to it, the moderators also gave a very short bio of the actor. Though the speech was fast, and by all means more difficult to understand than Vidin-Belogradchik speech.

Slovak 15%: I could get the general topic, but could not at all get the details! I understood a few words such as "information", "good day", "peninsula". Both Slovak videos are difficult to understand and to my ears sound like Czech.

Polish 10%: Few words such as "morning" but this is even less comprehensible than Slovak.
  13. texpert Senior Member

Thanks for the clues. Especially the namerah expression - I played it five times before deciding it did not necessarily have to mean the peace after all. But it was well worth an effort.
    As to the latter remark, I bear this in mind indeed. I've had my fair share of both styles of newsmaking and the latter (1999 in this case) makes any news item hell of a predictible thing. Tu such extent that one might get straight to the point even in Swahili :)
  14. texpert Senior Member

Now here is a recent story from the Czech TV that has drawn quite an attention (Entropa). How do you fare while listening?

(the previous link was a mistake)
  15. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Senior Member

Serbian (ijekavian)
    I could understand:

-Slovenian about 75%- many, many words well comprehentive, in some places a little bit confused with unexpected declinsion endings. Accent sometimes totaly weird.

-Bulgarian-I was surprised with Bulgarian. I couldnt understand more than 45-50%.
    Many words have been similar but more proned to Russian. I could understand words only on thier begining, it sounded to my ears like familiar words strown all around, thus very chaotic. I could only say that I thought that Bulgarian is almost the same as Macedonian. Not at all. Macedonian I understand about 80%. and I understand it much easier than Bulgarian.

-Slovak- on the other hand sounded to my ears pretty harmonic, accordant. I could understand it less than Slovenian but a bit more than Bulgarian, let me say about 65%. The only thing I should concentrate to was "h". I needed one moment to calculate :"hora" whats that? Ahhhh its gora. And so on. Pronounciation sounds like Serbian or Polish, with hard č and š but accent more like Croatian than Slovenian. It sounds nice to me, I think I am going to start learning it.

-Polish- Ufff, no mather how strong I effort myself I cant follow it, to rapid, to confusing. I could only recognise every 10th word and common Slavic words.

-Czech-About 30%, I wonder why but it is not so comprehent to my ears as Slovak although I know these two should be almost the same. I had to strength myself to recognise the words like hora (BCS. gora) but I just cant accomodate myself to ř instead of r. And I think thats the reason I can understand written Czech much more than 30%. It sounded to me something like between Slovene and Polish.

I think it would be good to make some audio clips of the same text in all Slavic languages or at least to the same subject. Because I think it is very common that words of some subjects like weather or nature are more similar in every Slavic language than some technical and modern stuff like cinema or economy.
  16. robin74 Senior Member

She says "przyłożyć kalkę", meaning "copy" (literally "to carbon copy" or "apply carbon paper" - that's what "kalka" is)

"Gwałtowne burze". Sudden, violent, torrential.

"cudownie" - wonderfully
    "samodzielność" - self-dependence
  17. Azori Senior Member

I understood:
    Slovenian -A difficult pronunciation and accent for my ears. In the first video, in some parts, I could understand a sufficient number of words to get the main meaning (but not the details), while some other parts were totally incomprehensible to me. With the second video it was even worse, I understood "Good evening", and the rest was like hearing a few familiar words here and there that together made no sense
    Bulgarian -Just a few words (mainly those international ones -television, series, popular), overall not more than 5%
    Polish -At first hearing not very comprehensible, but after I have listened to it several times, I could understand about 80% from the weather forecast, from the second video 70%
    Czech -100% obviously
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  18. texpert Senior Member

I think you had listed the reasons further down yourself. The weather forecast is a way more predictable story than a piece about an exhibition.

I see. It is a loanword from German (Gewalt). The Czech had borrowed it as well but transformed it into "kvalt" (speed - colloquially). Think I'll start a thread on this.
  19. TriglavNationalPark

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
  20. Ptak Senior Member

How sad. I haven't understood even a word in the Czech video (maybe only two or three separate words...). But I expected that. :(
  21. texpert Senior Member

I have some knowledge of Serbian so I skip the content. However, it has been some 10 years since I listened to proper Croatian and it ocurres to me now that the diction is a little bit different. The Croatian presenter doesn't intone as much and his syllables sound somewhat shorter to me (or their length is more equally spread)? It is getting closer to the Czech diction in my ears.

Having played it just once with no replays I grasped the outline (but not many specifics) of the story. The striking feature is that everything seems to be in nominative. The intonation is pretty much linear when compared to BCS.
  22. Kanes Senior Member

Macdonian and Bulgarian have only vocative. I wonder though can the -ov, -en, -ski suffixes of nouns, including names be cassified as a case?
  23. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    The Croatian clip is quite easy: fog is expected, bura too (the cold catatonic wind on the Adrian), sun also, and little clouds; there's an Eastern European anticyclone (istočno europske) but tomorrow the Icelandic deep will get more influence.
    What is quite unexpected was to adress the audience "Dobro vam dan". Have I heard this wrong?
    But basically, Croatian (and also the topic) is rather easy to me. To get it all though I would have to write it all down: as it is, and with the help of the weather card, I only get the basic meaning.

I have more difficulties with the Serbian clip: it is about the largest Serbian airline which should become privatised - but is as good as bankrupt.
    But as the explaining telephone voice is almost incomprehensible to me and as my vocabulary of BCS is relatively poor I miss much. I understand a great many words, and most numbers, but the content won't materialise in my mind.

Macedonian - well: something unexpected; I thought this might be as incomprehensible as Bulgarian but in fact it sounds more familiar, I understand quite a number of words (and that "avto-" is pronounced "afto-"), but without the pictures I wouldn't have known that it is about a race in Skopje.
    Still, I only understand some words, not sentences.

So far I'd say (from a learner's perspective): with Slovene being my "learner's language" and with having learned some BCS I understand BCS rather good but I would have to transcribe to get the meaning.
    Thus, auditive comprehension - certainly below 50%, probalby below 40% as I wouldn't be able to "survive" when addressed in any of the BCS standard languages.
    (I think I would "survive" with Slovenian standard language - I think I would understand most of Slovenian, basically, if vocabulary wouldn't be too elaborated, and if there were no switch to dialect which would make hearing comprehension very tough.)

Of all the other Slavic languages I don't have "real" auditive comprehension; Slovak was best, next come Czech and Macedonian, next (with very little comprehension) Bulgarian and then almost unintelligible Polish. But I wouldn't understand a few spoken standard language sentences in any of those languages - or only if vocabulary were kept very simple and if speech were slow.

Having said this: I've listened to all those clips ~ 5 times (Polish only twice, I gave up then ...), so comprehension would be much better if I had spent more time with them.
  24. texpert Senior Member

What seems to me remarkable is that we are roughly on a par when it comes to comprehension of Macedonian, while I am a native Czech speaker and you are a Slovenian learner (not having a bit of a common platform that is :)
  25. texpert Senior Member

Did you score any better on Polish or Slovak?
  26. Diaspora Senior Member

Serbocroatian, English
    The Macedonian video is about a race in Skopje, one of the drivers was seriously injured, most racers have a number of years of experience and so the topic of the news cast is how it happened and reactions. I think I understood 75%.

Obviously, I understood the BCS videos. Though the accent in the Croatian video was somewhat amusing. And yes he said "Dobar vam dan" it is a more friendly and emphatical version.
  27. Azori Senior Member

Serbian -too fast, about 20%. I understood the first 3 sentences. Then some words
    Croatian -20-30%
    Macedonian -a few words, 5% maybe
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  28. trance0 Senior Member

Serbian - I understood more than 95%, the only problem presenting unknown word here and there
    Croatian - the same as Serbian, over 95%
    Macedonian - now this was a complete surprise, I managed to understand about 70% in one run and I wasn`t even fully concentrated! I am almost sure I would have understood even more if I`d listened to the recording more than once. In any case, I had no problem figuring out what the video was about and I also managed to understand some of the details.
  29. phosphore Senior Member

Same here. I was surprised that I understand Slovenian way better that Bulgarian; I am not surprised that I practically do not understand Polish (I would understand Portuguese, which I have never studied, on the same level, knowing French and some Spanish).
  30. phosphore Senior Member

Is this serious about Jat?

I undersood every single word of Croation, of course, but I was not that good with Macedonian: I could even say that I undrstand Slovenian better than Macedonian, which is surprising again.
  31. trance0 Senior Member

Well, to tell you the truth, I am not that surprised that you understand Slovene better than Bulgarian. I think Slovene and BCS are closer than BCS and Bulgarian, at least grammatically and syntactically, whereas vocabulary is somewhere in the middle. I think Slovene and BCS are mutually understandable about 75% both ways, if both sides speak and listen to each other carefully(on the supposition that neither BCS natives nor Slovene natives had had much exposure to each other`s languages).
  32. TriglavNationalPark

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    I noticed that the Croatian clip includes at least one word that isn't used in Serbian, namely zrak (=air). Serbian uses vazduh instead. I was wondering whether the average Serbian speaker would understand words such as zrak, otok, and kruh*, which are used in the Croatian standard of BCS (as well as Slovenian), but not in Serbian?

* Croatian: island = otok; bread = kruh
    Serbian: island = ostrvo; bread = hleb
  33. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    An average Serbian speaker would most likely understood them, depending on age and education. I'm not too confident to say 100% though; younger generations generally had less exposure to Croatian and <rant on> education system today is much worse than in my times <rant off>. For example, I know that my well-educated friend had problem with vrhnje when in Zagreb (or his collocutor had a problem with pavlaka, I don't recall the details -- of course they eventually understood each other).
  34. phosphore Senior Member

I'm 20 years old and I have never been exposed to spoken Croatian (except a little on television), and I would not know what vrhnje is (I thought they say smetana?); but I understand zrak, otok, kruh, vlak, tlak, tisak, dušik and so on, perhaps because the Croatian books are still in use here (in Serbia).
  35. phosphore Senior Member

I was surprised also because there was that discussion about Slovenian as a South Slavic language, and it seems to be more similar to Serbian than Bulgarian. A reason was the territorial proximity, too: I though that I would be better with Bulgarian, and someone from Zagreb would be better with Slovenian.
  36. trance0 Senior Member

Well, this just proves all the more that Slovene is doubtlessly a South Slavic language and very close to all versions of BCS. I understand BCS almost 100% because I have been exposed to this language since childhood and also because I am interested in languages in general. But like I said, both languages should be about 75% mutually intelligible in any case. With little training any native BCS speaker can gain very good passive understanding of Slovene and the same goes for native Slovenes regarding BCS.
  37. Mišo Senior Member

Preßburg aka Pozsony
    Well, dear slavic "brothers" and "sisters". :)

Polish videos were, obviously, the most understandable for me. Mass of words I know from frequent listening to radio, so nothing new for me. I can really translate about 90 per cent from both videos without problems. Brothers Czechs like to say, when they listen to Slovak women's speech, that they are very sexy. I could say the same about Polish women - it is soo cute to listen them. :)

Slovenian. So, though its accent and pronounciation was no big surprise for mee too, I find, that Slovenian could be named as "Slovak negative". Why? Where we have stress, there Slovenians use it not, and vice versa. When we pronounce something soft, then Slovenians pronounce it hard, and ... vice versa. Still better, I find this language enough euphonious and in some places enough hard-bitten. I understood circa every second word, so, quite success for me. :)

Bulgarian and Macedonian. Foohh. Really something untraditional for us ears. Very similar languages, I could not fairly demark themselves by these videos. Both tongues were in few words - compressed, ungraspable, rigorous, a bit raucous and distinctively consonant. There were feeled also east slavic accent. Unbendability (many words ended with -ta, and so on) was other reason to ununderstanding. Not more than ten per cent in the aggregate was understandable for me. :)

Croatian and Sebian had traditionally, symphatetic sonorous accent to my ears. I could not recognize themselves in this case. Understanding was basically the same, as in the Slovenian case. :)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  38. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Senior Member

Serbian (ijekavian)
    Well I think it is stupid to say this word is Croatian and this Serbian. I am 20 years old too :D but I was born in Zagreb and grow up in Banja Luka.
    We use both variationes, they have sometimes not the same meaning.
    We use both zrak and vazduh but it if sameone needs frish air he always say "Nemam zraka" its shorter than "Nemam vazduha" hehe. But we use ostrvo as insel, otok means swelling;
    we say kru(h) same as (h)ljeb:
    we use voz not vlak, we use tlak as blood pressure and zračni pritisak or vazdušni pritisak as air pressure;
    We use the same vocabulary as Serbocroatian from SFRJugoslavia but not that new-sinhesized Croatian words like "četveronožno okolokućno travobrstilo" for "koza" (I am just trying to be funny right now :D)

My Serbian teacher gave me always a worse grade when I was using a word that is chosen to be Croatian after the War. This politic ruins our languages. My teacher alway said we have to use always construction
    "da + present" instead of infinitive because infinitive sounds more Western. I found it stupid. I will speek like my parents do and not like some Serbs in Vojvodina do just because this looks more Serbian for politicans. They want the biggest BCS dialect whch is basis of standard BCS to disapear, So I used to make it worse every time, I and one friend of mine used to write in esseys all tipical Croatian words like tisuća and not hiljada, tjedan (nedelja), stoljeće (vijek) and we used to talk this way in our Sebian language hours. It was prety funny to see our teacher so angry; Good old gymnasium :D
  39. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Senior Member

Serbian (ijekavian)
    Do you understand Macedonian better than Bulgarian just like I do?
    Do you know the film "Balcan-can". Its Macedonian and I understood everything. I think that north Macedonian dialect is closer to Serbian than to Bulgarian in vocabulary and pronounciation and southern Macedonian is closer to Bulgarian. What do you think?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  40. Ptak Senior Member

Yes, Polish is much more comprehensible. The excerpt itself is easier though...
  41. Ptak Senior Member

42. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    You're right. This has more to do with Macedonian-Serbian contact in the last century more than anything. The authentic northern dialects are dying out and northerners usually just speak standard Macedonian with a few Serbian pronouns and prepositions (више vs. повеќе, for example). In my opinion, trying to imitate the rustic dialect of the older generations or maybe Serbian is just 'cool' for the younger people.
  43. phosphore Senior Member

I have not seen that film, but I have heard (I think standard) Macedonian several times, and I had an impression of understanding it quite well; now having heard it on television, I am no more sure about it.

Anyway, Macedonian is closer to Serbian than Bulgarian, since it underwent many sound changes Serbian did, too, and Bulgarian did not.

I heard these Russian clips and I could say I understood it a bit more than Polish and that means 2%; it is such a shame because I have been learning Russian for 4 months already.
  44. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Senior Member

Serbian (ijekavian)
    This Russian was to fast for me, I had no time to think about the words. I understood whats the point, I would say about 20%. But I simply know I understand Russian very well if they are speaking not so fast. I know many Russians in Germany here, and I still remember when a Russian woman drunk tee with my Mother; My mother spok no German at that time so she spok normal Serbian and the Russian woman normal Russian. And this worked well.
    I also know that there are many many Russians that I understand about 80%(because I already have some basis knowlegies) but also some that I understand less than 30%. Strange :confused:
  45. TriglavNationalPark

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    We always forget this Slavic language:

(Lusatian) Sorbian*

Here's a clip from a Sorbian TV broadcast about a ghost in a church tower. Sorry about the German subtitles; I couldn't find any good Sorbian clips without them:

And for a bit of fun, here's South Park in Sorbian:

* I don't know whether this is Upper or Lower Sorbian. They are separate standard languages.
  46. Mišo Senior Member

Preßburg aka Pozsony
    What a pity, there is no Sorbian speaker in these forums.
    Viz, the difference between Upper and Lower Sorbian is allegedly bigger, than between Czech and Slovak.
    I just guess, this videos were in Upper Sorbian, because of its high percent occurrence in Lusitian territory.
    I heard this language for the first time, and the biggest surprise for me was, how much it was affected by German (Saxon or Brandenburg) accent, even a "r" was not pronounced "normally slavic".
    Pronounciation was a bit Polish, there were some Czech and Serbian features, but in the aggregate it was not vocal by standard slavic languages.

I add one audio file in Kashubian (kaszëbsczi jãzëk, pòmòrsczi jãzëk, kaszëbskò-słowińskô mòwa).
    It is ever difficult, at least for me, to find any recordings in this language on net.
    This one is from regional broadcasting on Radio Gdansk.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  47. DarkChild Senior Member

Macedonian is much closer to Bulgarian in all aspects regardless of the decades of Serbization and being part of the same country.
  48. phosphore Senior Member

I do not agree, but it does not matter.

I am not sure if we are allowed to post movie trailers, but this one is titled, so it helps checking if you understood it right, and the language is pretty good: a Serbian movie trailer

Here is one more titled, but not from any movie: Serbian news

I must say also that I have not understood a word of Sorbian, Kashubian neither :eek:
  49. Darina Senior Member

The beggining was too difficult to understand. Thanks God there are German subtitles! But after the first two minutes I got used to the accent and could undertand a few words and phrases.

Hm, the map helped a lot but even without watching the video I could get the main idea. May be...

Not better than Polish.

Strange but Slovak was easier than Slovene. It was somehow... I don't know how to explain it but it sounded very convenient to my ears. :D The pronounciation is very clear.

It probably depends on the topic but I could not get much.

I got about 50%.

Macedonian and Russian were OK.

Bulgarian from the eastern part of the country say they do not understand Serbian/Croatian at all and Macedonian only slightly.
  50. TriglavNationalPark

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    The Slovenes of Austrian Carinthia, even when speaking standard Slovenian, pronounce words in a similar way; they also use the German "r". In fact, if the moderators decide to start a similar thread for Slavic dialects, as Jana said they might, I'll post some clips of Carinthian Slovenian.