All Slavic languages: "the 13th chamber"

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

třináctá komnata in Czech and trinásta komnata in Slovak mean literally the thirteenth chamber and its the symbol of a big secret. I've read a Czech article about that symbolisation and read it might exist in other languages, in fairy tales, too. I doubt it.
    Do you use "the 13th chamber" in your language as an idiom for a big personal secret????
    If so, what do you call it?
  2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    BCS: No (that I heard of, naturally). I also don't know of another idiom for that.
  3. It is a fairy tale, very similar to the West European fairy tale about Bluebeard (sometimes translated in Czech as Modrovous, but better known as Třináctá komnata). Young girl marries wealthy nobleman, they live happily in twelve amazing chambers of his castle, but he tells her, that she must never enter the thirteenth... Once she enters there and finds some terrible secret.
  4. Azori Senior Member

I'm not sure if "a big secret" is the best definition. This dictionary describes it as "something mysterious, forbidden". But I guess in Czech it may be different.
    The story about Modrovous (in Czech)

There are dead bodies of women in that 13th chamber. Some Slovak folk tales also have this kind of "forbidden room" (e.g. "Za zlatým jabĺčkom", "Zlatovláska", "Zlatý zúbok", "Tri píšťalky"). The character in the story is told to avoid a certain room because if he/she enters that room, something bad will happen to him/her. The room is not always the 13th, it may also be the 12th or the 100th; the word "komnata" isn't always used either.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013