All Slavic languages: The forests/mountains up there burn worse ("Gore gore gore gore" in BCS)

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Gnoj, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    How would you say this in your language? What I know so far:

BCS: Gore gore gore gore
    Macedonian: Горите горе горат полошо / Gorite gore gorat pološo
    Bulgarian: Горите горе горят по-зле / Gorite gore gorjat po-zle (or is it по-лошо/po-lošo?)
    English: The forests up there burn worse

2. ilocas2 Senior Member

Czech:

Lesy (forests) nahoře hoří hůře/hůř.

Hory (mountains) nahoře hoří hůře/hůř.

3. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Slovenian...

forests: Gozdovi zgoraj gorijo slabše.

mountains: Gore zgoraj gorijo slabše.

4. Azori

Azori Senior Member

Slovak:

Lesy hore horia horšie. / Hory hore horia horšie.

Depending on the context, "hora" may refer either to a forest or to a mountain in Slovak, "les" means just forest.

5. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    In Polish, it might be:

Góry w górę/na górze gorzą gorzej.

6. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Actually Macedonian and Bulgarian гора means forest, so in Polish it would be:

Lasy na / w górze płoną / palą się gorzej.

We have an obsolete verb gorzeć, but its 3rd person plural is gorzeją, and we don't use it nowadays. There is also goreć - goreją.

7. vianie Senior Member

Slovak
    Thanks for the correction and specification, marco!

As hoří is plural, I presume that in colloquial Czech they say hořej.

8. ilocas2 Senior Member

Yes, 3rd person plural of hořet is hořej in colloquial Czech.

9. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Is ř in Czech and Slovak pronounced the same az ž? And what is the difference in pronunciation of ů and ú? Thanks.

10. Azori

Azori Senior Member

Slovak doesn't have the letters ř and ů (nor the sounds they represent, of course).

11. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Oh, right, sorry.

12. ilocas2 Senior Member

In Czech Ř is not pronounced as Ž. Ú and Ů are pronounced the same - long U.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. Azori

Azori Senior Member

The Czech "ř" seems to be called "raised alveolar non-sonorant trill" in English. Here are some sound files from Wiki where you can hear its pronunciation. I think it does sound a bit like "ž". Many Slovaks (including me) have no idea how to pronounce it properly so the closest we can come up with is some funny combination of "r" and "ž".
    So there's no difference whatsoever between them? I thought there may be some difference, as is sometimes, for instance, in Slovak between "e" and "ä".

14. ilocas2 Senior Member

The difference between them is only ortographic. They represent the same sound.

15. vianie Senior Member

Slovak

For those who are interested, I add that the Moravian variant of hořej is hořijou.

In the Moravian Slovakia and Moravian Wallachia it may be even hořijá.

16. vianie Senior Member

Slovak

There aren't apparently any audios at disposal, nonetheless, I'd like to learn how exactly do BCS speakers say this.

17. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Well, the stress is on the first syllable on every single "gore" word. :) Probably the same way you would pronounce "Gore" in you own Slovak language.

18. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    The same goes for BCS gora. Actually, it's used in the sense of "mountain" (one higher than brdo, but lower than planina) more often than in the sense of "forest" (which is usually šuma).

Not necessarily, the differences in tone and vowel length are rather audible in many dialects, including the one the standards are based on -- which is why pitch accent with vowel lengths is a part of the standards, even though people who don't have them in their native dialects won't usually use them when trying to speak standard.

I'd pronounce it as: Gȍre gȍre gòrē gȍrē -- written with BCS accent diacritics, where ̏ stands for a short and falling accent, ` for a short and rising accent and ¯ for a long unstressed vowel -- or /gôre gôre gǒre: gôre:/ in IPA. A syllable with a falling accent has both the stress and the highest pitch in the accentual unit, while a rising accent means that the syllable after the stressed one has the highest pitch.
    I think the first gore, nominative plural of gòra can also be gòre /gǒre/ -- with a rising accent, just like it always is in the singular, so all the four gore are pronounced differently in that case. There's a number of bisyllabic feminine nouns with a rising accent in nominative singular which becomes falling in the plural (like nòga - nȍge), so gòra - gȍre could be an analogy towards them -- or gòra - gòre could be a simplification.

I probably didn't help vianie much by trying to explain how it is in theory, but there you go. :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Yes, I'd pronounce it as gòre gȍre gòrē gȍrē (in the planine tamo plamte jače order) in my Bosnian accent (which, although with full 4-syllable+length system, does not always match the dictionary standard; whose does, anyway).

I'd upload a recording to Forvo.com or similar, but it's kind of awkward for me to do... (long story). I'll try to see if I can do it...

20. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    In Ukrainian: Ліси на горі гірше горять.

21. Gergana New Member

Burgas, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Yes, in Bulgarian is: Горите горе горят по-зле if you're using "по-зле" - there has to be a comparison: ... по-зле от ... нещо.