1. Note: The forum search will not be giving full results for the next few hours.

All Slavic languages: Tomorrow we're going mushrooming.

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, how do you say that sentence in your language?
    I am interested what preposition you use and if you can say if it is a common leisure-time activity in your region.

Czech: Zítra jdeme na houby.
    Slovak: Zajtra ideme na huby.
    Russian: Завтра идем за грибами.
  2. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

For Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian I'd use

Sutra idemo u gljive.

It sounds a bit colloquial to my ears, but ok. Still, you better wait for someone else to comment as mushrooms aren't my specialty. :)
  3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Jutro idziemy na grzyby.
  4. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Well, mushrooms aren't my speciality either, but it's a linguistic website, not a mycological one. :)
  5. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Mushrooming is very popular in most of Slovenia:

Jutri gremo nabirat gobe.

Jutri gremo po gobe. (Be careful of the context, though. Iti po gobe is also a euphemism that means "to die" or "to deteriorate").
  6. marco_2 Senior Member

That's interesting, in Polish pójść na grzybki means "to be sacked / fired".
  7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    I agree; I used to go u gljive myself.

Also, fishermen sometimes say idem u ribu; hunters: u patke, u fazane, u zečeve (though one also encounters na). And yes, it's a rather colloquial register.
  8. itreius Senior Member

The expression that I've most often heard in my region is po vrganje. Although the standalone word vrganj doesn't refer to mushrooms in general, in this particular phrase it does have a more general meaning that encompasses more than just vrganji mushrooms.

Apart from that, as well as the already mentioned u gljive, there's also po gljive.

Unrelated to BCS, I recall a children's book in Resian Slovene that I encountered some time ago, and I believe the form it used was na gobe (rather than the standard po gobe).
  9. Sobakus Senior Member

Russians say по грибы as well.
  10. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Now, you have made the situation more complicated for Russian language learners. :) Is there any preference, difference between по грибы and за грибами?
  11. volat New Member

Mahilioŭ, Belarus
    Заўтра ідзем па грыбы альбо Заўтра ідзем у грыбы.
  12. Sobakus Senior Member

По грибы is more idiomatic, folkish, if you will. За грибами could mean you're going shopping for them, while по грибы can only mean you're going mushroom hunting. You can идти по other things as well :)
  13. marco_2 Senior Member

So it is another way than in Polish, because iść po grzyby means that someone will sell or give them to you, or you left them e.g. in the kitchen and you want to fetch them. Iść na grzyby means, as I wrote before, to go mushroom hunting.
  14. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    In colloquial Polish, you will also hear 'za' expressing the aim, though it's considered incorrect in many cases. For instance: 'Chodzić za grzybami.', instead of the standard 'Szukać grzybów do kupienia', would mean that someone's gone to look for them (in a shop) and buy them. 'szukać za grzybami' instead of the standard 'szukać grzybów' means 'to look for mushrooms'.