1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

All Slavic: Synonyms of Spring, Autumn

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by arn00b, Sep 14, 2013.

1. arn00b Junior Member

English
    Are there synonyms or alternate forms of Spring and Autumn?

In English, we have both autumn and fall as synonyms, and we have Spring and prevernal (adjective) meaning slightly different things - Spring, the whole season and prevernal, the botanical/ecological season before summer.

Do the Western or Southern Slavic languages have any synonyms for Spring? I know that some have vesna-type words and others prolete-types, but are there any that have two?

And I'm looking for one word for autumn - a synonym or a word like post-summer, pre-winter, harvest or leaf-fall (but not the month of Listopad.)

Archaic or poetic versions would be fine too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    In Slovenian, vigred (regional) and vesna (poetic) are two synonyms of pomlad (= spring) that immediately come to mind and are listed in SSKJ, as are the less common terms mladoletje (literary) and spomlad (archaic).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    I can't think of any fancy words, but I can tell you that prevernal means pre-spring (check the meaning of vernal).

4. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:
    jaro - vesna
    podzim - jeseň

5. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    In Polish we also used to have a noun jaro which meant spring or summer, now we only have the adjective jary - zboża jare means spring crops. We also use the noun jarzyna, which once meant spring crop, now a vegetable or a mixture of vegetables.

6. arn00b Junior Member

English
    Thanks a lot, everyone. For jaro and vesna, are they exactly the same? Which one sounds earlier or later? Or warmer/colder?

7. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Four seasons of the year in Czech: jaro, léto, podzim, zima

jaro - a neuter (substantivized) form of the adjective jarý = lively, vivacious, vigorous;

podzim < pod zimou (= under winter);

The original Common Slavic words vesna and jeseň are used only in literature, esp. poetry.

8. Azori

Azori Senior Member

In Slovak the most common (standard) words for spring, summer, fall and winter are: jar, leto, jeseň, zima. For spring there's also vesna (literary, poetic). The term babie leto is used to refer to a period of sunny, warm days at the beginning of autumn / end of summer. Podzim is archaic / literary for autumn.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. oveka Senior Member

Ukrania, ukraniano
    Ukrainian:

весна́

begin про́весна, про́весень
    end на ро́зигри, на ро́зиграх

осінь

begin пі́досінь

10. itreius Senior Member

Assembly
    BCS

spring
    proljeće (proleće) - the standard word
    vesna - literary
    protuletje - regional
    vuletje - regional

jesen - autumn

I can't remember any other words for autumn right now.

11. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Russian

Лето
    юг (dialectical, now it means "south");
    пролетье - beginning of summer.

Осень
    есень (dialectical)
    бабье лето - Indian summer (warm weeks of September);
    чернотроп (lit. black paths) - period before the first snow.
    предзимье - late autumn

Зима
    первозимье - beginning of winter

Весна
    авсень, овесень, усень - first day of spring (dialectical, obsolete).

12. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Slovenian uses both babje leto and indijansko poletje for "Indian summer" ("a period of unusually settled warm weather after the end of summer proper").

13. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    In Polish it is also babie lato or (polska) złota jesień) - "Polish golden autumn". We also use the term babie lato for balloon silk, dispersed by small spiders in autumn on warm days.

14. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    This is a bit strange. In Russian there is also expression золотая осень (golden autumn), but it refers to the period when the trees are all yellow (gold), i.e. to the period pretty later than Indian summer - Beginning or middle of October.
    So what the Polish metaphora złota jesień is based on?
    Or maybe due to the different climate in Poland Indian summer also refers to the middle of autumn?

15. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I think you're right, Maroseika, in Poland very often September is quite cold (like this year, BTW) and in October we have a period of warmer days, though the trees are already yellow (gold), so this metaphor is connected with the colour of leaves lit additionally by a ray of sunshine. This is at least as I see it.