All suggestions are welcome/welcomed

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bienvenidos, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Hey everyone,

I've been staring at these two sentences for the past ten minutes and now I really don't know how I would explain the difference (if there is any) between them. I was asked to explain this to someone and I don't want to embarrass myself; I don't want to be told, "You grew up in the US and you don't know which one's right??" :D So I need a third party to help me out. Thank you all. :)

All suggestions are welcomed.
    All suggestions are welcome.

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Good question, Bienvenidos - now you've got me wondering!:) Frankly, though, I believe that you can't use the past tense in your first sentence because you're mixing and matching tenses (are/welcomed). I think you have to maintain the past tense ie: "All suggestions were welcomed although only one was implemented".

3. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    I actually think both sentences are fine, :) because "welcomed" is also an adjective.

4. Maudeyang Junior Member

China Chinese
    I also think both sentences are right. Because "welcome" is both an adjective and a verb.And I deem that "are welcomed" means passiveness.

5. Vera Silva New Member

Brazil - Portuguese
    It's an adjective. Change the order. Welcome suggestions.

6. espagnola New Member

Spanish - Mexico
    Hello all. I'm trying to post something in my website, I want to be as simple as possible and I thought the formula: "All welcomed" was catchy, but I don't usually see that, should I say All welcome?

(is to say that everybody is welcomed to a class I'm offering)

I always think in spanish when in doubt and Bienvenido (ado/ido) is an adverbial participle, that is modifies the action of being, "ser bienvenido" being welcomed. But in English the use is different right?

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    "Welcome" is related to the German adjective "willkommen", espagnola. You can use either "All (are) welcomed." Or "All (are) welcome" in that post. I'd use "welcome" rather than "welcomed". I don't think the participle is as common as the simple adjective "welcome" in shorts remarks like this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. espagnola New Member

Spanish - Mexico
    Do I have to say "are" or it's a choice?

9. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    You don't have to say "are". People will understand that "All welcome" means "all are welcome."

I'd probably omit "all" and just write "welcome" if I needed that word for some reason. I don't think "all welcome" is any catchier than "welcome."

If I wanted to make it clear that absolutely all people are welcome, I'd probably write this: Everybody is welcome.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  10. Johnsimpson New Member

British
    All suggestions are welcomed. This sentence seems rather strange to me and inapproprate, even if in the passive form. Bear in mind that 'welcome is a noun, a verb, or an adjective. In passive form it would better to be. 'All suggestions are most welcome'. I believe it has to do with what we think is the most appropriate.

11. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Welcome to the forum Johnsimpson.

I'm not sure this old thread needed reawakening, but please note that 'All suggestions are most welcome' is not passive.

The passive voice requires the use of the past participle of a verb and "welcome' is neither a verb here nor a past participle. :)

12. Johnsimpson New Member

British
    I found this thread by search because I had a disagreement in what I believed to be the the wrong use of welcomed. Perhaps I should have opened a new thread. This was the sentence. 'English teachers and learners are welcomed in this group'.

13. Mahantongo

Mahantongo Senior Member

English (U.S.)
    It is not incorrect to use "welcomed", but it does not mean the same thing as saying "welcome". This use of "welcomed" is a passive voice verb rather than an adjective, and it suggests that someone actively extends a welcome to English teachers (perhaps by shaking their hands, giving them a cup of tea, introducing them to the other members of the group, etc.) Think of it this way "English teachers are welcomed in this group, but algebra teachers are snubbed, and science teachers are not only refused entrance to the building, but are pelted with rocks and bottles on the street."