1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

All suggestions are welcome/welcomed

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bienvenidos, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Hey everyone,

I've been staring at these two sentences for the past ten minutes and now I really don't know how I would explain the difference (if there is any) between them. I was asked to explain this to someone and I don't want to embarrass myself; I don't want to be told, "You grew up in the US and you don't know which one's right??" :D So I need a third party to help me out. Thank you all. :)

All suggestions are welcomed.
    All suggestions are welcome.

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Good question, Bienvenidos - now you've got me wondering!:) Frankly, though, I believe that you can't use the past tense in your first sentence because you're mixing and matching tenses (are/welcomed). I think you have to maintain the past tense ie: "All suggestions were welcomed although only one was implemented".

3. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    I actually think both sentences are fine, :) because "welcomed" is also an adjective.

4. Maudeyang Junior Member

China Chinese
    I also think both sentences are right. Because "welcome" is both an adjective and a verb.And I deem that "are welcomed" means passiveness.

5. Vera Silva New Member

Brazil - Portuguese
    It's an adjective. Change the order. Welcome suggestions.

6. espagnola New Member

Spanish - Mexico
    Hello all. I'm trying to post something in my website, I want to be as simple as possible and I thought the formula: "All welcomed" was catchy, but I don't usually see that, should I say All welcome?

(is to say that everybody is welcomed to a class I'm offering)

I always think in spanish when in doubt and Bienvenido (ado/ido) is an adverbial participle, that is modifies the action of being, "ser bienvenido" being welcomed. But in English the use is different right?

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    "Welcome" is related to the German adjective "willkommen", espagnola. You can use either "All (are) welcomed." Or "All (are) welcome" in that post. I'd use "welcome" rather than "welcomed". I don't think the participle is as common as the simple adjective "welcome" in shorts remarks like this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. espagnola New Member

Spanish - Mexico
    Do I have to say "are" or it's a choice?

9. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    You don't have to say "are". People will understand that "All welcome" means "all are welcome."

I'd probably omit "all" and just write "welcome" if I needed that word for some reason. I don't think "all welcome" is any catchier than "welcome."

If I wanted to make it clear that absolutely all people are welcome, I'd probably write this: Everybody is welcome.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015